Decorating Your School Locker with Magnets

My son started middle school this year and he has his own locker. Of course, he wants to "decorate" his locker. I explained to him that stickers and other semi-permanent things would not be good. He was bummed until I sat him down with his paintball magazines and remote control car magazines and told him to pick a few things out. He didn't understand what I was doing but I then took the 5 x 7 inch magnet that had last year's school calendar on it and a jar of rubber cement. I showed him how he could have cooler things than stickers in his locker by cutting out pictures, logos, or whatever out of his magazine, using rubber cement to attach to the magnet and when this was dry, he cut out the pictures in different shapes so they didn't look the same.

He was so excited that he called his grandparents to ask if he could have their old magnet calendar that is provided free from the schools. They also gave him some magnets from the local grocery store that they received for free. All he could say was he was so excited to go to school tomorrow to put his great magnets in his locker. The great thing is that these can be used each year and if the interest changes, you can cover the magnet with a different picture. Have fun and what a great way to let your child personalize his/her locker without causing any damage.

Great idea!! I know one time, at one of the local thrift stores, where I use to donate my stuff, asked if I had anymore of those flat magnet things that some lady had come and purchased all that I'd donated to them, for her crafts. That by using this type of magnets, the items are closer to the item it's attached to (ex: refrigerator, etc) than being stuck out and easy to hit & knock off.

Aargh, I wish I'd thought of this when I was in high school!!! Great Idea!

I love that idea and I wish I'd saw this earlier because I'm in the 6th grade and I'm going to do that right now! Great idea!