LaundryCleaning

Use Fabric Softener in the Dryer

Instead of buying expensive fabric softener sheets, I put fabric softener in a spray bottle diluted 1:1 with water, spray Pellon interfacing material or a soft washcloth with about a dozen sprays, and throw it in the dryer.

I use Amway fabric softener which must be diluted but some brands may be OK to use without diluting. (If it doesn't spray easily, it may need to be diluted.) Wash the cloths every few loads to prevent buildup of fabric softener.

If there are a lot of pile fabrics or nylon garments in the wash that collect a lot of static electricity, try putting two or three sprayed cloths in the dryer. For garments that are dried on a line, just swab the surface of the garment with the cloth by hand. This method works especially well for my rubber-backed pile bathmat.

By Judy from Valley City, ND

I have found that the large quantities of fabric softner sheets are less expensive than bottled softener especially if you buy the ones in large box stores.

This works very well. I dilute it 2/3 softener and 1/3 water. I bought my last bottle of fabric softener in December 2008 and have well more than half left! I got this tip from Mary Hunt's website.

Better yet, just add vinegar in your rinse cycle. Cheap, does the trick and helps clean the scum from the washing machine.

Please remember to wash the removeable dryer lint filter with hot soapy water often to reduce drying time and prevent fires.

This is for fishermen or ladies. You can buy any brand fabric softener liquid and soak any strings or nets in it. It will last much longer. We have soaked and wiped down casting nets and crabtraps for years. The smell does not bother anything. Just wanted to let everybody know. J