Browsing: Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

These union positions have a long and honoured history in the US. This guide is about getting a job as a longshoreman.

Longshoreman at Work
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 27, 2011 Flag

How do I go about applying for a job as a longshoreman?

By Montez from Brunswick, GA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Everyone is a little off. I'm a casual working in the Port of Seattle. Basically, you have to wait until there is a signup for your area. PMA (Pacific Marine Association) will usually have that information because they are the ones that pay to train you.

Thousands apply, then they shuffle all of the applicants and you hope you get picked. You don't have to be a union member to initially get in. It takes awhile you have to be patient. I got on the training list and it took me 4 1/2 years to get my first shift. No training is required because they train within.

Wateing far a call 504 338 4781 I like talking to a person thanks Armond Sullivan

April 7, 2016 Flag

I am looking to start in the longshoreman field. My background as a fisherman should show I can take long days and bad weather. Where can I start and is there anyplace in the northeast relative to Connecticut and Rhode Island?

Good Luck!!! I am very familiar with this field from long experience in a related area. You must be a Longshoreman's Union member in high seniority to get work assignments in any area of the US. Joining the union is difficult and expecting any work is much more than difficult!!! You must be a union member of longstanding to expect any work assignments and people who do find work in the field rarely leave because of the high pay rates.

I encourage you to check with your local Longshore Union to learn more but do not expect open arms! I hope you have a back up job or plan!!!

I'm trying to become a longshoreman looking for employment I really like working with Outdoors people I really like fishing

February 17, 2015 Flag

Where do I apply for a longshoreman job?

By Kevin

Apply to the union.

Apply to the union.

August 31, 2013 Flag

When do the books open to sign up for a longshoreman?

By Jamal

You will have to check your local area.

Surely you should be asking at the port or at the union hall. I can't think why people on a site about thrift would be expected to have detailed knowledge about longshoreman jobs. You also didn't mention where you are and that probably makes a difference.

May 24, 2013 Flag

I have been working as a class A truck driver for 2 years. I have wanted to work as a longshoreman, for the past 13 years. I never seem to get the right information. What am I doing wrong? I need your help. Thanks.

By Preston from Los Angeles, CA

Here's an overview: http://www.ehow.com/how_8018167_longshoreman-job.html

What is up with all the longshoreman inquiries on this site, it seem like there is a new one every month.

If you're getting wrong information it might be because you're asking on a thrift board, not on a longshoreman, job-finding or union site. Use Google or Bing or any search engine to find the resources in your area.

You have to know somebody who works at the docks if you want to get in. They can get you an application. They hand them out every 5 years. I'm a casual. My mom is an A book. She got me in.

June 8, 2014 Flag

I would like to be a longshoreman. I would like to become a Casual. Hopefully, make union one day. I'm just not sure if I'm ready yet. I am from the upper middle class suburbs from Connecticut. I was wondering is there anychance of someone from my walk of life getting a chance at the greatest professional in the world?

PS., I'm not some kid who watched Season 2 of the Wire and decided this was for me. I'm doing boxing, lifting, running, mixtures of the combos. I don't know how strong you have to be. If I'm not strong enough yet would it be alright if I tried out again? I'm not strong then I will be in the gym strong. It goes without saying there will be people stronger. But all my boxing coaches and wrestling coaches will tell you there are few few people who can maintain my energy level for a long time.

I know the unfortunate thing is tragedy does strike. I realize a longshoreman can give powerliftings a run for the money in the strength department. My mom is scared, but I have to make my own path. I've worked jobs with sadistic supervisors before. I hope that there is no violence at the docks like there used to be. I don't scare easily. I understand the cultures of the docks. I just want to do my job, earn the respect for the casuals and the union men and women.

By Ryan F. from Milford, CT

Don't know what the east coast longshore process is but I am female Longshoreman in California. You can only apply when a casual process is opened. We haven't done it here since 2003.

Working out has nothing to do with the job, most everything is done by containers for the past 40 years. I am 48 years old as and still lash with the boys (I am not a crazy fitness freak, actually a few pounds overweight and only 5'4). Check with your local union to see when casual process is open. Used to be on the west coast only way in was through another Longshore man but that was changed in the last processing period. Hope this helps you out.

February 3, 2014 Flag

I am on the list to get hired. How do I find out my place on the list?

By Derek

Just checking how long the wait list is before they call me.

January 31, 2012 Flag

Where do you apply for longshoreman jobs in California?

By Rodney

I would try Long Beach Harbor first. After that try The Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro Harbor , San Deigo Harbor (Military harbor).

First, you have to be a union member to work the docks. Go to the union business office in the city they are located or the union hall and inquire about joining the union and working the docks. Then get help from the union for employment. If you are not a union member you won't get to work the docks.

September 22, 2011 Flag

How do I get work as a longshoreman in Newark New Jersey?

Load More
Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobFebruary 10, 2013
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
level and tape measure
Repairing a Sagging Floor
Finding a Second Job With Benefits
Finding a Second Job With Benefits
Finding a First Job, Newspaper with Jobs as the heading
Finding a First Job
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:27:10 AM on 10.0.2.218 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.