Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

These union positions have a long and honoured history in the US. This guide is about getting a job as a longshoreman.

January 27, 2011 Flag

How do I go about applying for a job as a longshoreman?

By Montez from Brunswick, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would imagine you should check with the different shipping companies. You could even check with your local job service.

Best Answer

You could try to contact an International Longshoreman's Union in Newark. Here is a list of eight ILA unions in New Jersey: http://www.unio  s-association/16

April 7, 2016 Flag

I am looking to start in the longshoreman field. My background as a fisherman should show I can take long days and bad weather. Where can I start and is there anyplace in the northeast relative to Connecticut and Rhode Island?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Good Luck!!! I am very familiar with this area from long experience in a related field. The very lucrative Longshore field is completely controlled by the very strong Longshoreman's Union and worker seniority is king. People do not leave the union as the pay is so high. The only way you can work as a Longshoreman is by joining the union (very difficult!) and signing up for work. However, new people rarely get any work as work assignments are completely controlled by seniority.

I encourage you to investigate the union possibilities in your area but do not expect your past work experience to count in any way.

Good Luck!!! I am very familiar with this field from long experience in a related area. You must be a Longshoreman's Union member in high seniority to get work assignments in any area of the US. Joining the union is difficult and expecting any work is much more than difficult!!! You must be a union member of longstanding to expect any work assignments and people who do find work in the field rarely leave because of the high pay rates.

I encourage you to check with your local Longshore Union to learn more but do not expect open arms! I hope you have a back up job or plan!!!

February 17, 2015 Flag

Where do I apply for a longshoreman job?

By Kevin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Applying for a Longshore job takes a bit of time, however, actually working in a job takes seniority, much seniority!

Apply to the union.

August 31, 2013 Flag

When do the books open to sign up for a longshoreman?

By Jamal

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You will have to check your local area.

Surely you should be asking at the port or at the union hall. I can't think why people on a site about thrift would be expected to have detailed knowledge about longshoreman jobs. You also didn't mention where you are and that probably makes a difference.

May 24, 2013 Flag

I have been working as a class A truck driver for 2 years. I have wanted to work as a longshoreman, for the past 13 years. I never seem to get the right information. What am I doing wrong? I need your help. Thanks.

By Preston from Los Angeles, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here's an overview: http://www.ehow  horeman-job.html

What is up with all the longshoreman inquiries on this site, it seem like there is a new one every month.

If you're getting wrong information it might be because you're asking on a thrift board, not on a longshoreman, job-finding or union site. Use Google or Bing or any search engine to find the resources in your area.

You have to know somebody who works at the docks if you want to get in. They can get you an application. They hand them out every 5 years. I'm a casual. My mom is an A book. She got me in.

June 8, 2014 Flag

I would like to be a longshoreman. I would like to become a Casual. Hopefully, make union one day. I'm just not sure if I'm ready yet. I am from the upper middle class suburbs from Connecticut. I was wondering is there anychance of someone from my walk of life getting a chance at the greatest professional in the world?

PS., I'm not some kid who watched Season 2 of the Wire and decided this was for me. I'm doing boxing, lifting, running, mixtures of the combos. I don't know how strong you have to be. If I'm not strong enough yet would it be alright if I tried out again? I'm not strong then I will be in the gym strong. It goes without saying there will be people stronger. But all my boxing coaches and wrestling coaches will tell you there are few few people who can maintain my energy level for a long time.

I know the unfortunate thing is tragedy does strike. I realize a longshoreman can give powerliftings a run for the money in the strength department. My mom is scared, but I have to make my own path. I've worked jobs with sadistic supervisors before. I hope that there is no violence at the docks like there used to be. I don't scare easily. I understand the cultures of the docks. I just want to do my job, earn the respect for the casuals and the union men and women.

By Ryan F. from Milford, CT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Don't know what the east coast longshore process is but I am female Longshoreman in California. You can only apply when a casual process is opened. We haven't done it here since 2003.

Working out has nothing to do with the job, most everything is done by containers for the past 40 years. I am 48 years old as and still lash with the boys (I am not a crazy fitness freak, actually a few pounds overweight and only 5'4). Check with your local union to see when casual process is open. Used to be on the west coast only way in was through another Longshore man but that was changed in the last processing period. Hope this helps you out.

February 3, 2014 Flag

I am on the list to get hired. How do I find out my place on the list?

By Derek

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just checking how long the wait list is before they call me.

January 31, 2012 Flag

Where do you apply for longshoreman jobs in California?

By Rodney

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would try Long Beach Harbor first. After that try The Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro Harbor , San Deigo Harbor (Military harbor).

First, you have to be a union member to work the docks. Go to the union business office in the city they are located or the union hall and inquire about joining the union and working the docks. Then get help from the union for employment. If you are not a union member you won't get to work the docks.

September 22, 2011 Flag

How do I get work as a longshoreman in Newark New Jersey?

Sylvester

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could try to contact an International Longshoreman's Union in Newark. Here is a list of eight ILA unions in New Jersey:

http://www.unio … rg/unions/new-je ... onal-longshoremen%27s-association/16

Oops! My first post had a link that did not work. Try this one:

http://www.unio … s-association/16

August 28, 2013 Flag

How old do you have to be to become a longshoreman?

By Ta'Quan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi - I do not know the age requirement but I do know there is a lot more to it than just your age.

Google your question and you will find your answer and hopefully lots of information to get you started.

May take many months/years to get one of these jobs.

May 21, 2013 Flag

How can I get a job as a longshoreman?

By Mike

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.wiki … e-a-Longshoreman

April 25, 2013 Flag

I am interested in applying for a longshoreman position locally, but 16 years ago, I committed a felony, assault and battery in a high and aggravated nature. I completed my probation sentence and have never been in any trouble since. Will I meet the qualifications for a longshoreman and to get a TWIC card?

By John

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Regarding the TWIC card, go to www.tsa.gov and review the list under Disqualification, waivers and appeals.

January 17, 2013 Flag

How do you obtain an employment application for a longshoreman position in Hampton Roads Virginia?

By joy2world2

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Specific questions like this are more likely to find an answer on a search engine. I typed: employment application for a longshoreman position in Hampton Roads Virginia? into a search engine and got relevant results immediately.

April 9, 2012 Flag

Where do I apply to be a longshoreman in Baltimore?

By Michael

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If I'm not mistaken, longshoreman have a long and honoured history in the US as strictly union, so your best first stop would be here:

http://www.ilaunion.org/

Good luck, this is a very strenuous occupation, but one in which the labour is much needed by anyone who purchases any food, household supplies, clothing, and luxury goods!

September 26, 2011 Flag

How do I get an application for a longshoreman job?

By Jeremiah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Call or go to the closest union hall for your area for information. I say that because I am pretty sure most longshoreman jobs are unionized. I hope someone will correct be if I am wrong.

November 20, 2013 Flag

I am currently employed for the past 20 years as a longshoreman superintendent for a very reputable shipping company in South Africa. Is it possible to obtain a similar vacancy in the states? I am qualified in all aspects of stevedoring and also have a riggers certificate.

By Fayal from Richards Bay, South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 20, 2013 Flag

How do I apply for a longshoreman position in San Francisco, California?

By Mike J from San Francisco, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 30, 2013 Flag

2012---Recent lottery was drawn for San Diego port. Out of 12-15000 applications they cut it down to a final 500. Word is they went through the first 100 names to fill another 40 casuals. I am number 109 on that list. Anyone have any insight at all on what number they stopped on or when they will start training the rest? Thank you.

By Alex

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 22, 2013 Flag

How do I go about filling out application for employment?

By Tony Long Beach, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 20, 2009 Flag

How can I get casual longshoreman work?

Tony from New York City, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 27, 2011 Flag

How do I become a longshoreman employee?

By Andrew from Newport News, VA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 26, 2010 Flag

Can someone help me with information about how to join longshoreman? I have my TWIC and passport. Please help a shipmate.

By Lavelle from Newport News, VA

Answers:

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Hello,
My uncle was a longshoreman. He said to go to the local Longshoreman's Union and sign up. There are also ships that go to dangerous places, so please be careful and ask for their destination and stops in between.

Good luck, you will make good money. (06/03/2010)

By K9cats

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobFebruary 10, 2013
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
level and tape measure
Repairing a Sagging Floor
Finding a Second Job With Benefits
Finding a Second Job With Benefits
Finding a First Job, Newspaper with Jobs as the heading
Finding a First Job
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 8:37:59 PM on 10.0.1.211 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.