Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

These union positions have a long and honoured history in the US. This guide is about getting a job as a longshoreman.

January 27, 2011 Flag

How do I go about applying for a job as a longshoreman?

By Montez from Brunswick, GA

Best Answer

You could try to contact an International Longshoreman's Union in Newark. Here is a list of eight ILA unions in New Jersey: http://www.unions.org/unions/new-je ... onal-longshoremen%27s-association/16

Best Answer

April 7, 2016 Flag

I am looking to start in the longshoreman field. My background as a fisherman should show I can take long days and bad weather. Where can I start and is there anyplace in the northeast relative to Connecticut and Rhode Island?

Good Luck!!! I am very familiar with this field from long experience in a related area. You must be a Longshoreman's Union member in high seniority to get work assignments in any area of the US. Joining the union is difficult and expecting any work is much more than difficult!!! You must be a union member of longstanding to expect any work assignments and people who do find work in the field rarely leave because of the high pay rates.

I encourage you to check with your local Longshore Union to learn more but do not expect open arms! I hope you have a back up job or plan!!!

February 17, 2015 Flag

Where do I apply for a longshoreman job?

By Kevin

Apply to the union.

August 31, 2013 Flag

When do the books open to sign up for a longshoreman?

By Jamal

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You will have to check your local area.

May 24, 2013 Flag

I have been working as a class A truck driver for 2 years. I have wanted to work as a longshoreman, for the past 13 years. I never seem to get the right information. What am I doing wrong? I need your help. Thanks.

By Preston from Los Angeles, CA

Here's an overview: http://www.ehow.com/how_8018167_longshoreman-job.html

What is up with all the longshoreman inquiries on this site, it seem like there is a new one every month.

If you're getting wrong information it might be because you're asking on a thrift board, not on a longshoreman, job-finding or union site. Use Google or Bing or any search engine to find the resources in your area.

June 8, 2014 Flag

I would like to be a longshoreman. I would like to become a Casual. Hopefully, make union one day. I'm just not sure if I'm ready yet. I am from the upper middle class suburbs from Connecticut. I was wondering is there anychance of someone from my walk of life getting a chance at the greatest professional in the world?

PS., I'm not some kid who watched Season 2 of the Wire and decided this was for me. I'm doing boxing, lifting, running, mixtures of the combos. I don't know how strong you have to be. If I'm not strong enough yet would it be alright if I tried out again? I'm not strong then I will be in the gym strong. It goes without saying there will be people stronger. But all my boxing coaches and wrestling coaches will tell you there are few few people who can maintain my energy level for a long time.

I know the unfortunate thing is tragedy does strike. I realize a longshoreman can give powerliftings a run for the money in the strength department. My mom is scared, but I have to make my own path. I've worked jobs with sadistic supervisors before. I hope that there is no violence at the docks like there used to be. I don't scare easily. I understand the cultures of the docks. I just want to do my job, earn the respect for the casuals and the union men and women.

By Ryan F. from Milford, CT

Don't know what the east coast longshore process is but I am female Longshoreman in California. You can only apply when a casual process is opened. We haven't done it here since 2003.

Working out has nothing to do with the job, most everything is done by containers for the past 40 years. I am 48 years old as and still lash with the boys (I am not a crazy fitness freak, actually a few pounds overweight and only 5'4). Check with your local union to see when casual process is open. Used to be on the west coast only way in was through another Longshore man but that was changed in the last processing period. Hope this helps you out.

February 3, 2014 Flag

I am on the list to get hired. How do I find out my place on the list?

By Derek

Just checking how long the wait list is before they call me.

January 31, 2012 Flag

Where do you apply for longshoreman jobs in California?

By Rodney

I would try Long Beach Harbor first. After that try The Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro Harbor , San Deigo Harbor (Military harbor).

September 22, 2011 Flag

How do I get work as a longshoreman in Newark New Jersey?

Sylvester

You could try to contact an International Longshoreman's Union in Newark. Here is a list of eight ILA unions in New Jersey:

http://www.unions.org/unions/new-je ... onal-longshoremen%27s-association/16

August 28, 2013 Flag

How old do you have to be to become a longshoreman?

By Ta'Quan

Hi - I do not know the age requirement but I do know there is a lot more to it than just your age.

Google your question and you will find your answer and hopefully lots of information to get you started.

May take many months/years to get one of these jobs.

May 21, 2013 Flag

How can I get a job as a longshoreman?

By Mike

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Longshoreman

April 25, 2013 Flag

I am interested in applying for a longshoreman position locally, but 16 years ago, I committed a felony, assault and battery in a high and aggravated nature. I completed my probation sentence and have never been in any trouble since. Will I meet the qualifications for a longshoreman and to get a TWIC card?

By John

Regarding the TWIC card, go to www.tsa.gov and review the list under Disqualification, waivers and appeals.

January 17, 2013 Flag

How do you obtain an employment application for a longshoreman position in Hampton Roads Virginia?

Load More
Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobFebruary 10, 2013
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
level and tape measure
Repairing a Sagging Floor
Finding a Second Job With Benefits
Finding a Second Job With Benefits
Finding a First Job, Newspaper with Jobs as the heading
Finding a First Job
🎉
🎄