Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Category Finding a Job
These union positions have a long and honoured history in the US. This guide is about getting a job as a longshoreman.

How do I go about applying for a job as a longshoreman?

By Montez from Brunswick, GA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

You could try to contact an International Longshoreman's Union in Newark. Here is a list of eight ILA unions in New Jersey: http://www.unio  s-association/16

If someone put 2 stamps on interest card is the person auto disqualified?

no, that should not provide a reason for disqualification

I am looking to start in the longshoreman field. My background as a fisherman should show I can take long days and bad weather. Where can I start and is there anyplace in the northeast relative to Connecticut and Rhode Island?

Good Luck!!! I am very familiar with this field from long experience in a related area. You must be a Longshoreman's Union member in high seniority to get work assignments in any area of the US. Joining the union is difficult and expecting any work is much more than difficult!!! You must be a union member of longstanding to expect any work assignments and people who do find work in the field rarely leave because of the high pay rates.

I encourage you to check with your local Longshore Union to learn more but do not expect open arms! I hope you have a back up job or plan!!!

When do the books open to sign up for a longshoreman?

By Jamal

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You will have to check your local area.

Where do I apply for a longshoreman job?

By Kevin

Apply to the union.

I have been working as a class A truck driver for 2 years. I have wanted to work as a longshoreman, for the past 13 years. I never seem to get the right information. What am I doing wrong? I need your help. Thanks.

By Preston from Los Angeles, CA

Here's an overview: http://www.ehow  horeman-job.html

What is up with all the longshoreman inquiries on this site, it seem like there is a new one every month.

If you're getting wrong information it might be because you're asking on a thrift board, not on a longshoreman, job-finding or union site. Use Google or Bing or any search engine to find the resources in your area.

I would like to be a longshoreman. I would like to become a Casual. Hopefully, make union one day. I'm just not sure if I'm ready yet. I am from the upper middle class suburbs from Connecticut. I was wondering is there anychance of someone from my walk of life getting a chance at the greatest professional in the world?

PS., I'm not some kid who watched Season 2 of the Wire and decided this was for me. I'm doing boxing, lifting, running, mixtures of the combos. I don't know how strong you have to be. If I'm not strong enough yet would it be alright if I tried out again? I'm not strong then I will be in the gym strong. It goes without saying there will be people stronger. But all my boxing coaches and wrestling coaches will tell you there are few few people who can maintain my energy level for a long time.

I know the unfortunate thing is tragedy does strike. I realize a longshoreman can give powerliftings a run for the money in the strength department. My mom is scared, but I have to make my own path. I've worked jobs with sadistic supervisors before. I hope that there is no violence at the docks like there used to be. I don't scare easily. I understand the cultures of the docks. I just want to do my job, earn the respect for the casuals and the union men and women.

By Ryan F. from Milford, CT

Don't know what the east coast longshore process is but I am female Longshoreman in California. You can only apply when a casual process is opened. We haven't done it here since 2003.

Working out has nothing to do with the job, most everything is done by containers for the past 40 years. I am 48 years old as and still lash with the boys (I am not a crazy fitness freak, actually a few pounds overweight and only 5'4). Check with your local union to see when casual process is open. Used to be on the west coast only way in was through another Longshore man but that was changed in the last processing period. Hope this helps you out.

I am on the list to get hired. How do I find out my place on the list?

By Derek

Just checking how long the wait list is before they call me.

Where do you apply for longshoreman jobs in California?

By Rodney

I would try Long Beach Harbor first. After that try The Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro Harbor , San Deigo Harbor (Military harbor).

How old do you have to be to become a longshoreman?

By Ta'Quan

Hi - I do not know the age requirement but I do know there is a lot more to it than just your age.

Google your question and you will find your answer and hopefully lots of information to get you started.

May take many months/years to get one of these jobs.

How do I get work as a longshoreman in Newark New Jersey?

Sylvester

You could try to contact an International Longshoreman's Union in Newark. Here is a list of eight ILA unions in New Jersey:

http://www.unio  rg/unions/new-je ... onal-longshoremen%27s-association/16

How can I get a job as a longshoreman?

By Mike

http://www.wiki  e-a-Longshoreman

I am interested in applying for a longshoreman position locally, but 16 years ago, I committed a felony, assault and battery in a high and aggravated nature. I completed my probation sentence and have never been in any trouble since. Will I meet the qualifications for a longshoreman and to get a TWIC card?

By John

Regarding the TWIC card, go to www.tsa.gov and review the list under Disqualification, waivers and appeals.

How do you obtain an employment application for a longshoreman position in Hampton Roads Virginia?

By joy2world2

Specific questions like this are more likely to find an answer on a search engine. I typed: employment application for a longshoreman position in Hampton Roads Virginia? into a search engine and got relevant results immediately.

Where do I apply to be a longshoreman in Baltimore?

By Michael

If I'm not mistaken, longshoreman have a long and honoured history in the US as strictly union, so your best first stop would be here:

http://www.ilaunion.org/

Good luck, this is a very strenuous occupation, but one in which the labour is much needed by anyone who purchases any food, household supplies, clothing, and luxury goods!

How do I get an application for a longshoreman job?

By Jeremiah

Anonymous

Call or go to the closest union hall for your area for information. I say that because I am pretty sure most longshoreman jobs are unionized. I hope someone will correct be if I am wrong.

I am currently employed for the past 20 years as a longshoreman superintendent for a very reputable shipping company in South Africa. Is it possible to obtain a similar vacancy in the states? I am qualified in all aspects of stevedoring and also have a riggers certificate.

By Fayal from Richards Bay, South Africa

How do I apply for a longshoreman position in San Francisco, California?

By Mike J from San Francisco, CA

2012---Recent lottery was drawn for San Diego port. Out of 12-15000 applications they cut it down to a final 500. Word is they went through the first 100 names to fill another 40 casuals. I am number 109 on that list. Anyone have any insight at all on what number they stopped on or when they will start training the rest? Thank you.

By Alex

How do I go about filling out application for employment?

By Tony Long Beach, CA

How can I get casual longshoreman work?

Tony from New York City, NY

How do I become a longshoreman employee?

By Andrew from Newport News, VA

Can someone help me with information about how to join longshoreman? I have my TWIC and passport. Please help a shipmate.

By Lavelle from Newport News, VA

Answers:

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Hello,
My uncle was a longshoreman. He said to go to the local Longshoreman's Union and sign up. There are also ships that go to dangerous places, so please be careful and ask for their destination and stops in between.

Good luck, you will make good money. (06/03/2010)

By K9cats

How do I get a job as a longshoreman? I have my twic card.

By Michael from Richmond, CA

Answers:

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Why don't you go the the longshoreman's union in San Francisco and inquire there? Good luck. (03/16/2010)

By K9cats

I was interested in a crane job with the longshoreman union. Does having 25 years experience, National Crane Certification, and being a military veteran help in accomplishing this? Thank you for your advice.

By GOMEZ150 from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

I would go, call, or write to the local union for crane operators and ask them about joining the union and how to go about getting a job as a crane operator. (06/09/2009)

By foxrun41

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

I would think all of this will be beneficial to you. My husband's employers were all impressed with his military experience. Just be sure to bring your paperwork with you upon interview, it will show you are organized and well prepared. Good luck! (07/05/2009)

By MyGreenEyedBabies

I want a job as a longshoreman. Can anyone help me obtain information on this subject?

Christopher from Brooklyn, NY

Answers:

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Maybe try the ILWU? (International Longshoreman and Warehouse (?) Union) I think their website is www.ilwu.org (09/22/2008)

By Fred

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

I have information and paperwork to share with anyone who is interested in becoming a longshoreman on the West Coast-ILWU jurisdiction. You may call me at (510) 614-2763 and I will mail you information that you may find beneficial. My name is Joe. (10/10/2008)

By ILWU "permissive rule"

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

I have been doing longshoreman work since I was a senior in high school, now its strictly when I have two weeks off from my rig offshore. All you need is to go down to your local ILA and get a card. You will start off as casual but the more hours u work then u will get a permanent position or seniority. It is rewarding work and extra money. (10/29/2008)

By Thomas

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

They pushed the TWIC requirement back to Sept. 2009 because they underestimated the number of people required to have one by 2,000,000. I'm an Un-ID in Seattle and it is absolutely dead right now. There are 3000 Un-Id's and not one has worked in 3 months. (11/21/2008)

By M.R.

hey peoples

My dad's a longshoreman in LA, CA. Right now you got to have a diploma and a drivers license to get in there guys. If you don't got one of those things cant get in. I think I'll be getting in soon when my dad gets in. You got to put 2500 hours in to become a full time worker but you are not guaranteed to work everyday. (11/30/2008)

By joe

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Here's how you apply for a job in NY and NJ. You can obtain information at Tyler St. inside the port of NJ. Its called the Waterfront. If you are coming in from the N end,follow signs into the port, 3rd traffic light MLK, 1st building on R is the Waterfront building. It's right across the street from a gas station. Good luck. I worked there. Lisa (01/05/2009)

By Anonymous

I need some one to help me to go through the procedures of becoming a longshoreman. I tried to find out but I can't find any steps.

Please help me.
tashface from Newark, NJ

Answers:

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

try copying and pasting this link.
http://www.milamhctf.com/portInfo.asp?mnu=3&sub=3

I just googled longshoreman. I imagine a local union could give you some help on how to get in. (01/28/2006)

By Becki

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

You need to find out were the local union hall is and go there. I am a member of the I. L. A. "International Longshoreman Assoc." (11/29/2007)

By Dave

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Good luck, the water front works on who you know. Basically if you're an outsider it's probably not going to happen. If you are hired, good luck getting a job out of the hall, as all the high seniority guys run their kids' numbers, and hire them off the pier. So they can get their hours and pass you in seniority. Expect to go for weeks or sometimes months with out working and when you do get a job expect it to be back breaking work, unless (if you are not in shape this job is not for you) you get a drivers job.

Everybody thinks you get a job at the waterfront, and you don't do anything, and you get payed over a 100k a year. It doesn't happen your first year out. You would be lucky to make 30k (the guys that make over a hundred are top pay and basically live there). Plan on spending a good part of your day sitting at the hiring hall waiting for jobs.

The waterfront is a good job. I'm not going to lie, but there's a lot of favoritism. It's basically a whose your father, or relative game. If I was you, I would find out where the longshoreman's hiring hall is and then union hall, and every other location they have. Start there, you will probably get the run around at first, but don't give up. Keep gathering all the info you can, and eventually you will find out where to go to fill out an application.

Our union last year took 120 people there was a good 500 lined up around the union hall waiting to get an application and they all had the 2,000 dollars for their intuition fees. (12/09/2007)

By slinging chains on the waterfront

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Contact the Pacific Maritime Association in Long Beach, CA. 562-495-7600. They jointly control the hiring process in the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach along with the International Longshore and Warehouse Union. They hire a group of "new hires" on the average of once every five to seven years. If you pass all the tests and requirements, you then are assigned part-time work until full-time positions become available. After hired full-time, you are then placed on a probationary period for an undetermined length of time until the union and employer agrees you have proven yourself, through work habits and reliability, to become a full fledged Longshoreman. The entire process takes years, but is well worth it if you like exciting and dangerous work. The wages and benefits are healthy, but the job is VERY dangerous and exhausting at times. (04/08/2008)

By Ship Gang 48

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

For all those seeking longshore work, know that it is a very long haul. I have worked in Tacoma since the fall of 1999 and I am still not fully registered. It is a falsehood that you need to be family to work here. The way it does help is that you understand what the union and brotherhood is all about. My father was a registered longshoreman for 44 years and he had a lot of knowledge to share with me. It is very dangerous work. If you are just looking to make a quick buck go sell used cars.

I take my job very seriously and I truly care about my union brothers and sisters...It has to be that way because it is horrible to see anyone die on the job...even if you don't like that person. They don't just hand out A books to people, you have to earn them. It's a lot like going to medical school but not as clean of a job. For me it was worth every minute. (04/13/2008)

By Chucky

RE: Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

stay at your job

Being a longshoreman is not cut out to what you think it is. There are a lot of ups and downs about this job. I'm a longshoreman and these are true facts. (04/21/2008)

By christine

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

The first thing I would do would be to get a TWIC card, which will allow you to work on any sea port in the country. Having this card will not get you a job, but without it you cannot work on a port. Please use this link for more information.

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/twic/index.shtm (07/03/2008)

By Chrischop442

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

You are no longer required to know someone to be a longshoreman, or to get work, although it does help. It used to be that way but now a days with people suing for spilling hot coffee on themselves things are a bit more structured.

Here's how it works, down in LA / LB anyway:

1) You wait till they are hiring. Don't count on this happening anytime soon. They brought in 18,000 people and are still not done processing them. The first 5000 got "elevated" and the rest are still working as a casual.

2) A books and I think IDs(?) were given ONE application. I think there was 5000 of these given out. An application guaranteed you a job, but it's been 4 years since I turned mine in and I'm still working on being elevated. The rest of the 18,000 were lucky winners; 800,000 postcards were submitted. If you submitted more than one, you were cut. If you couldn't pass the physical, drug test, lashing test, you were cut.

3)To make a long story short, keep your ear to the news and find out when they are hiring.

My advice is this: there are other opportunities at the Port. Electricians will be needed to help operate the new technology they are implementing for a cleaner environment. Also, consider the security that is needed at the port. From port police to the coast guard, as time goes on and the port expands more jobs will be created.

Getting your TWIC card wouldn't hurt, but I would wait til you have something going on first. They are not even implementing the TWIC system til April(?) 2009. The TWIC is good for 3 or 5 years, I forget, but the point is if you get it now, like I did, one year will be wasted since it's not even needed yet.

(07/28/2008)

By Ray