Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

These union positions have a long and honoured history in the US. This guide is about getting a job as a longshoreman.

Longshoreman at Work
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I am looking to start in the longshoreman field. My background as a fisherman should show I can take long days and bad weather. Where can I start and is there anyplace in the northeast relative to Connecticut and Rhode Island?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Good Luck!!! I am very familiar with this field from long experience in a related area. You must be a Longshoreman's Union member in high seniority to get work assignments in any area of the US. Joining the union is difficult and expecting any work is much more than difficult!!! You must be a union member of longstanding to expect any work assignments and people who do find work in the field rarely leave because of the high pay rates.

I encourage you to check with your local Longshore Union to learn more but do not expect open arms! I hope you have a back up job or plan!!!

Read More Answers...

How do I go about applying for a job as a longshoreman?

By Montez from Brunswick, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Hello,

My uncle was a longshoreman. He said to go to the local Longshoreman's Union and sign up. There are also ships that go to dangerous places so please be careful and ask for their destination and stops in between. Good luck, you will make good $.

Best Answer

I would imagine you should check with the different shipping companies. You could even check with your local job service.

Best Answer

You could try to contact an International Longshoreman's Union in Newark. Here is a list of eight ILA unions in New Jersey: http://www.unions.org/unions/new-je ... onal-longshoremen%27s-association/16

Best Answer

Everyone is a little off. I'm a casual working in the Port of Seattle. Basically, you have to wait until there is a signup for your area. PMA (Pacific Marine Association) will usually have that information because they are the ones that pay to train you.

Thousands apply, then they shuffle all of the applicants and you hope you get picked. You don't have to be a union member to initially get in. It takes awhile you have to be patient. I got on the training list and it took me 4 1/2 years to get my first shift. No training is required because they train within.

Read More Answers...

Where do I apply for a longshoreman job?

By Kevin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Apply to the union.

Read More Answers...

When do the books open to sign up for a longshoreman?

By Jamal

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Surely you should be asking at the port or at the union hall. I can't think why people on a site about thrift would be expected to have detailed knowledge about longshoreman jobs. You also didn't mention where you are and that probably makes a difference.

Read More Answers...

I would like to be a longshoreman. I would like to become a Casual. Hopefully, make union one day. I'm just not sure if I'm ready yet. I am from the upper middle class suburbs from Connecticut. I was wondering is there anychance of someone from my walk of life getting a chance at the greatest professional in the world?

PS., I'm not some kid who watched Season 2 of the Wire and decided this was for me. I'm doing boxing, lifting, running, mixtures of the combos. I don't know how strong you have to be. If I'm not strong enough yet would it be alright if I tried out again? I'm not strong then I will be in the gym strong. It goes without saying there will be people stronger. But all my boxing coaches and wrestling coaches will tell you there are few few people who can maintain my energy level for a long time.

I know the unfortunate thing is tragedy does strike. I realize a longshoreman can give powerliftings a run for the money in the strength department. My mom is scared, but I have to make my own path. I've worked jobs with sadistic supervisors before. I hope that there is no violence at the docks like there used to be. I don't scare easily. I understand the cultures of the docks. I just want to do my job, earn the respect for the casuals and the union men and women.

By Ryan F. from Milford, CT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Don't know what the east coast longshore process is but I am female Longshoreman in California. You can only apply when a casual process is opened. We haven't done it here since 2003.

Working out has nothing to do with the job, most everything is done by containers for the past 40 years. I am 48 years old as and still lash with the boys (I am not a crazy fitness freak, actually a few pounds overweight and only 5'4). Check with your local union to see when casual process is open. Used to be on the west coast only way in was through another Longshore man but that was changed in the last processing period. Hope this helps you out.

I am on the list to get hired. How do I find out my place on the list?

By Derek

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just checking how long the wait list is before they call me.

Where do you apply for longshoreman jobs in California?

By Rodney

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First, you have to be a union member to work the docks. Go to the union business office in the city they are located or the union hall and inquire about joining the union and working the docks. Then get help from the union for employment. If you are not a union member you won't get to work the docks.

Read More Answers...

How old do you have to be to become a longshoreman?

By Ta'Quan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi - I do not know the age requirement but I do know there is a lot more to it than just your age.

Google your question and you will find your answer and hopefully lots of information to get you started.

May take many months/years to get one of these jobs.

How do I get work as a longshoreman in Newark New Jersey?

Sylvester

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Oops! My first post had a link that did not work. Try this one:

http://www.unions.org/unions/new-je ... onal-longshoremen%27s-association/16

Read More Answers...

I have been working as a class A truck driver for 2 years. I have wanted to work as a longshoreman, for the past 13 years. I never seem to get the right information. What am I doing wrong? I need your help. Thanks.

By Preston from Los Angeles, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here's an overview: http://www.ehow.com/how_8018167_longshoreman-job.html

What is up with all the longshoreman inquiries on this site, it seem like there is a new one every month.

If you're getting wrong information it might be because you're asking on a thrift board, not on a longshoreman, job-finding or union site. Use Google or Bing or any search engine to find the resources in your area.

How can I get a job as a longshoreman?

By Mike

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Longshoreman

I am interested in applying for a longshoreman position locally, but 16 years ago, I committed a felony, assault and battery in a high and aggravated nature. I completed my probation sentence and have never been in any trouble since. Will I meet the qualifications for a longshoreman and to get a TWIC card?

By John

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Regarding the TWIC card, go to www.tsa.gov and review the list under Disqualification, waivers and appeals.

How do you obtain an employment application for a longshoreman position in Hampton Roads Virginia?

By joy2world2

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Specific questions like this are more likely to find an answer on a search engine. I typed: employment application for a longshoreman position in Hampton Roads Virginia? into a search engine and got relevant results immediately.

Where do I apply to be a longshoreman in Baltimore?

By Michael

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If I'm not mistaken, longshoreman have a long and honoured history in the US as strictly union, so your best first stop would be here:

http://www.ilaunion.org/

Good luck, this is a very strenuous occupation, but one in which the labour is much needed by anyone who purchases any food, household supplies, clothing, and luxury goods!

How do I get an application for a longshoreman job?

By Jeremiah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Call or go to the closest union hall for your area for information. I say that because I am pretty sure most longshoreman jobs are unionized. I hope someone will correct be if I am wrong.

How do I become a longshoreman employee?

By Andrew from Newport News, VA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can someone help me with information about how to join longshoreman? I have my TWIC and passport. Please help a shipmate.

By Lavelle from Newport News, VA

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Hello,
    My uncle was a longshoreman. He said to go to the local Longshoreman's Union and sign up. There are also ships that go to dangerous places, so please be careful and ask for their destination and stops in between.

Good luck, you will make good money. (06/03/2010)

By K9cats

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get a job as a longshoreman? I have my twic card.

By Michael from Richmond, CA

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Why don't you go the the longshoreman's union in San Francisco and inquire there? Good luck. (03/16/2010)

By K9cats

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I was interested in a crane job with the longshoreman union. Does having 25 years experience, National Crane Certification, and being a military veteran help in accomplishing this? Thank you for your advice.

By GOMEZ150 from Chicago, IL

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

I would go, call, or write to the local union for crane operators and ask them about joining the union and how to go about getting a job as a crane operator. (06/09/2009)

By foxrun41

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

I would think all of this will be beneficial to you. My husband's employers were all impressed with his military experience. Just be sure to bring your paperwork with you upon interview, it will show you are organized and well prepared. Good luck! (07/05/2009)

By MyGreenEyedBabies

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I want a job as a longshoreman. Can anyone help me obtain information on this subject?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need some one to help me to go through the procedures of becoming a longshoreman. I tried to find out but I can't find any steps.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobFebruary 10, 2013
    Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
    Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
    level and tape measure
    Repairing a Sagging Floor
    Finding a Second Job With Benefits
    Finding a Second Job With Benefits
    Finding a First Job, Newspaper with Jobs as the heading
    Finding a First Job
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 3, 2016 at 3:05:56 AM on 10.0.2.115 in 429 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.