Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

These union positions have a long and honoured history in the US. This guide is about getting a job as a longshoreman.

January 27, 2011 Flag

How do I go about applying for a job as a longshoreman?

By Montez from Brunswick, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You could try to contact an International Longshoreman's Union in Newark. Here is a list of eight ILA unions in New Jersey: http://www.unio  s-association/16

January 17, 2017 Flag

If someone put 2 stamps on interest card is the person auto disqualified?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

no, that should not provide a reason for disqualification

April 7, 2016 Flag

I am looking to start in the longshoreman field. My background as a fisherman should show I can take long days and bad weather. Where can I start and is there anyplace in the northeast relative to Connecticut and Rhode Island?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Good Luck!!! I am very familiar with this field from long experience in a related area. You must be a Longshoreman's Union member in high seniority to get work assignments in any area of the US. Joining the union is difficult and expecting any work is much more than difficult!!! You must be a union member of longstanding to expect any work assignments and people who do find work in the field rarely leave because of the high pay rates.

I encourage you to check with your local Longshore Union to learn more but do not expect open arms! I hope you have a back up job or plan!!!

August 31, 2013 Flag

When do the books open to sign up for a longshoreman?

By Jamal

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You will have to check your local area.

February 17, 2015 Flag

Where do I apply for a longshoreman job?

By Kevin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Apply to the union.

May 24, 2013 Flag

I have been working as a class A truck driver for 2 years. I have wanted to work as a longshoreman, for the past 13 years. I never seem to get the right information. What am I doing wrong? I need your help. Thanks.

By Preston from Los Angeles, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here's an overview: http://www.ehow  horeman-job.html

What is up with all the longshoreman inquiries on this site, it seem like there is a new one every month.

If you're getting wrong information it might be because you're asking on a thrift board, not on a longshoreman, job-finding or union site. Use Google or Bing or any search engine to find the resources in your area.

June 8, 2014 Flag

I would like to be a longshoreman. I would like to become a Casual. Hopefully, make union one day. I'm just not sure if I'm ready yet. I am from the upper middle class suburbs from Connecticut. I was wondering is there anychance of someone from my walk of life getting a chance at the greatest professional in the world?

PS., I'm not some kid who watched Season 2 of the Wire and decided this was for me. I'm doing boxing, lifting, running, mixtures of the combos. I don't know how strong you have to be. If I'm not strong enough yet would it be alright if I tried out again? I'm not strong then I will be in the gym strong. It goes without saying there will be people stronger. But all my boxing coaches and wrestling coaches will tell you there are few few people who can maintain my energy level for a long time.

I know the unfortunate thing is tragedy does strike. I realize a longshoreman can give powerliftings a run for the money in the strength department. My mom is scared, but I have to make my own path. I've worked jobs with sadistic supervisors before. I hope that there is no violence at the docks like there used to be. I don't scare easily. I understand the cultures of the docks. I just want to do my job, earn the respect for the casuals and the union men and women.

By Ryan F. from Milford, CT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Don't know what the east coast longshore process is but I am female Longshoreman in California. You can only apply when a casual process is opened. We haven't done it here since 2003.

Working out has nothing to do with the job, most everything is done by containers for the past 40 years. I am 48 years old as and still lash with the boys (I am not a crazy fitness freak, actually a few pounds overweight and only 5'4). Check with your local union to see when casual process is open. Used to be on the west coast only way in was through another Longshore man but that was changed in the last processing period. Hope this helps you out.

February 3, 2014 Flag

I am on the list to get hired. How do I find out my place on the list?

By Derek

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just checking how long the wait list is before they call me.

January 31, 2012 Flag

Where do you apply for longshoreman jobs in California?

By Rodney

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would try Long Beach Harbor first. After that try The Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro Harbor , San Deigo Harbor (Military harbor).

August 28, 2013 Flag

How old do you have to be to become a longshoreman?

By Ta'Quan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi - I do not know the age requirement but I do know there is a lot more to it than just your age.

Google your question and you will find your answer and hopefully lots of information to get you started.

May take many months/years to get one of these jobs.

September 22, 2011 Flag

How do I get work as a longshoreman in Newark New Jersey?

Sylvester

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could try to contact an International Longshoreman's Union in Newark. Here is a list of eight ILA unions in New Jersey:

http://www.unio  rg/unions/new-je ... onal-longshoremen%27s-association/16

May 21, 2013 Flag

How can I get a job as a longshoreman?

By Mike

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.wiki  e-a-Longshoreman

April 25, 2013 Flag

I am interested in applying for a longshoreman position locally, but 16 years ago, I committed a felony, assault and battery in a high and aggravated nature. I completed my probation sentence and have never been in any trouble since. Will I meet the qualifications for a longshoreman and to get a TWIC card?

By John

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Regarding the TWIC card, go to www.tsa.gov and review the list under Disqualification, waivers and appeals.

January 17, 2013 Flag

How do you obtain an employment application for a longshoreman position in Hampton Roads Virginia?

By joy2world2

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Specific questions like this are more likely to find an answer on a search engine. I typed: employment application for a longshoreman position in Hampton Roads Virginia? into a search engine and got relevant results immediately.

April 9, 2012 Flag

Where do I apply to be a longshoreman in Baltimore?

By Michael

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If I'm not mistaken, longshoreman have a long and honoured history in the US as strictly union, so your best first stop would be here:

http://www.ilaunion.org/

Good luck, this is a very strenuous occupation, but one in which the labour is much needed by anyone who purchases any food, household supplies, clothing, and luxury goods!

September 26, 2011 Flag

How do I get an application for a longshoreman job?

By Jeremiah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Call or go to the closest union hall for your area for information. I say that because I am pretty sure most longshoreman jobs are unionized. I hope someone will correct be if I am wrong.

November 20, 2013 Flag

I am currently employed for the past 20 years as a longshoreman superintendent for a very reputable shipping company in South Africa. Is it possible to obtain a similar vacancy in the states? I am qualified in all aspects of stevedoring and also have a riggers certificate.

By Fayal from Richards Bay, South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 20, 2013 Flag

How do I apply for a longshoreman position in San Francisco, California?

By Mike J from San Francisco, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 30, 2013 Flag

2012---Recent lottery was drawn for San Diego port. Out of 12-15000 applications they cut it down to a final 500. Word is they went through the first 100 names to fill another 40 casuals. I am number 109 on that list. Anyone have any insight at all on what number they stopped on or when they will start training the rest? Thank you.

By Alex

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 22, 2013 Flag

How do I go about filling out application for employment?

By Tony Long Beach, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 20, 2009 Flag

How can I get casual longshoreman work?

Tony from New York City, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 27, 2011 Flag

How do I become a longshoreman employee?

By Andrew from Newport News, VA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 26, 2010 Flag

Can someone help me with information about how to join longshoreman? I have my TWIC and passport. Please help a shipmate.

By Lavelle from Newport News, VA

Answers:

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Hello,
My uncle was a longshoreman. He said to go to the local Longshoreman's Union and sign up. There are also ships that go to dangerous places, so please be careful and ask for their destination and stops in between.

Good luck, you will make good money. (06/03/2010)

By K9cats

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 1, 2010 Flag

How do I get a job as a longshoreman? I have my twic card.

By Michael from Richmond, CA

Answers:

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Why don't you go the the longshoreman's union in San Francisco and inquire there? Good luck. (03/16/2010)

By K9cats

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 15, 2009 Flag

I was interested in a crane job with the longshoreman union. Does having 25 years experience, National Crane Certification, and being a military veteran help in accomplishing this? Thank you for your advice.

By GOMEZ150 from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

I would go, call, or write to the local union for crane operators and ask them about joining the union and how to go about getting a job as a crane operator. (06/09/2009)

By foxrun41

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

I would think all of this will be beneficial to you. My husband's employers were all impressed with his military experience. Just be sure to bring your paperwork with you upon interview, it will show you are organized and well prepared. Good luck! (07/05/2009)

By MyGreenEyedBabies

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 6, 2009 Flag

I want a job as a longshoreman. Can anyone help me obtain information on this subject?

Christopher from Brooklyn, NY

Answers:

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Maybe try the ILWU? (International Longshoreman and Warehouse (?) Union) I think their website is www.ilwu.org (09/22/2008)

By Fred

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

I have information and paperwork to share with anyone who is interested in becoming a longshoreman on the West Coast-ILWU jurisdiction. You may call me at (510) 614-2763 and I will mail you information that you may find beneficial. My name is Joe. (10/10/2008)

By ILWU "permissive rule"

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

I have been doing longshoreman work since I was a senior in high school, now its strictly when I have two weeks off from my rig offshore. All you need is to go down to your local ILA and get a card. You will start off as casual but the more hours u work then u will get a permanent position or seniority. It is rewarding work and extra money. (10/29/2008)

By Thomas

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

They pushed the TWIC requirement back to Sept. 2009 because they underestimated the number of people required to have one by 2,000,000. I'm an Un-ID in Seattle and it is absolutely dead right now. There are 3000 Un-Id's and not one has worked in 3 months. (11/21/2008)

By M.R.

hey peoples

My dad's a longshoreman in LA, CA. Right now you got to have a diploma and a drivers license to get in there guys. If you don't got one of those things cant get in. I think I'll be getting in soon when my dad gets in. You got to put 2500 hours in to become a full time worker but you are not guaranteed to work everyday. (11/30/2008)

By joe

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Here's how you apply for a job in NY and NJ. You can obtain information at Tyler St. inside the port of NJ. Its called the Waterfront. If you are coming in from the N end,follow signs into the port, 3rd traffic light MLK, 1st building on R is the Waterfront building. It's right across the street from a gas station. Good luck. I worked there. Lisa (01/05/2009)

By Anonymous

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobFebruary 10, 2013
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
level and tape measure
Repairing a Sagging Floor
Finding a Second Job With Benefits
Finding a Second Job With Benefits
Finding a First Job, Newspaper with Jobs as the heading
Finding a First Job
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 3:51:36 PM on 10.0.1.245 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.