Chihuahua Yelping and Stiffening Its Neck

I have an 11 month old Chihuahua, she was in her kennel and began to yelp like she was hurt. We went in there to get her and picked her up and she kept yelping. She stiffened her neck and began to shake very bad then her eyes became very droopy. I laid her down with me and she urinated on me and she NEVER does that.

I have taken her to the Emergency Vet and all they did was feel her neck and give her some pain medications. Since I have taken her in this has now happened 3 more times. It comes about every month. I'm now beginning to worry, she is doing it again tonight. Please if you have any ideas what this could be let me know.

Brytnee from CDA

It sound like some kind of seizure. You need to take her to a different vet - there might be a medication you can give her daily to prevent this.

My husband's a vet and what you're describing sounds very much like a seizure. It's hard to diagnois if it's not happening then. Get a regular vet and be sure to report the frequency of these attacks. Often they aren't given medication for seizures that only happen a couple of times a year but for that often there are certainly meds. that will help. It takes some trial and error to get the correct dosage but worth it. Do it now.

Yes, this sounds like a seizure. If you do not know the history of the dog, it may have been in the genetic make up from the parents. Puppy Mills are well known for passing on "defective" dogs, where we fall in love with our pets and then something comes up for us to make the life and death choices for them. Also injuries at birth and puppy care at these places have been shown to be horrific.

People buying animals should know the genetic origins of the mother/father.

I am a pet owner as well as a humane society volunteer.

Like every one else I think it sounds like some seizure - or she needs a chiropractor - which they do have for dogs. I've found vet hospitals often have lower prices and the students have full supervision by teachers who tend to be very skilled in what they do. A vet would be my best bet. maybe if you can tell they are coming on they can be prevented.

Check with vet to see if she has cushing disease.

She needs to be seen by a regular vet - why the emergency room didn't advise you to follow up on this.....

I would take her even when she is not having the (incident) have them exam her and maybe they can advise you to bring her in right away while it's happening. In the meantime maybe they'll get a sense of what it is and give you medication that may prevent but not hurt her in the meantime - I'm not sure. It does sound like some sort of seizure.

I wouldn't wait.

I'd bet money its a seizure. This often you will probably be able to get meds. We had them for our Dob/Rot cross. Eventually the meds don't seem to work as well but your dog is younger and smaller so it will probably be better.

See your reg vet. Good luck

Does sound like a seizure. She needs to be seen by a reg vet for a diagnosis. Usually seizure can be managed or lessened with inexpensive daily meds.

Take her to her vet. It's definitely something he needs to diagnose. Try to describe it as accurately as possible and tell him how often it happens and how long it lasts, etc. TLC helps in the meantime, but get her in ASAP.

I had a Dachshund that had this problem, His spinal fluid was leaking out. He was in tremendous pain. Please take your dog to the vet ASAP. If it is a young dog, things will progress better. The dogs needs real medical attention soon.

My beagle does the very same thing. I took her to the vet and was told she was having seizures. She has now been diagnosed with Epilepsy, her seizures happen about 6 to 9 months apart. There are certain things that can trigger a seizure and bring them on your pet. At this point and time she is not on any medication for them but the vet told me if they become more frequent we will need to start her on some medication for them.

I always keep a journal as to when she has one, how long it lasts, and what happens when she is having one. That will help your vet a great deal to know what is happening and how long they are lasting. Please don't wait take your pet to the vet ASAP, seizures can kill a pet.

Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 8, 2009
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
A woman in a white t-shirt grabbing her sore neck.
Avoiding Neck Strain
Cat Scratching Its Neck
Cat Scratching Its Neck
Making a Neck Pillow
Making a Neck Pillow
🎄
🍂