What Do You Use to Clean Windows?

What can I use for cleaning windows? How do I use vinegar for window cleaning?

By gauchogran from Stockton, CA

Mix 1 part vinegar with 4-5 parts water.

I use about a quarter cup of vinegar and a few drops of dish detergent. i favor dawn. put it in a half bucket of water. vinegar cleans and helps to reduce streaks and the detergent will cut the grease and crud off the window. got stickers on the windows? use vinegar full strength and soak the paper. it will eventually come off. to speed it up, use a straight razer blade to scrape.

MCW has a good vinegar/water ratio for cleaning windows. I put it in a spray bottle then use newspaper instead of paper towels to wipe which saves a little money. Remember to FIRST put on some disposable gloves or you will end up with black hands. The newspaper leaves no lint or streaks unless the window is very dirty, so you may need a 2nd application. The last tip is wipe in 1 direction on the outiside, another on the inside so if it does streak, you can easily tell which side of the glass it's on.

Paper coffee filters also great for cleaning windows. I buy the absolute cheapest brand. I start my cleaning mixture as MCW makes it. For the outside and the kitchen, I also put in a drop or two a dish detergent.

Straight club soda in a spritzer bottle works well for windows and glass too, and its a good alternative if the smell of vinegar is too overpowering. For windows I use a squeegee and wipe up any excess with a microfiber cloth. It makes the job go a lot faster!

If your windows are really dirty I'd use a dish soap and water solution first as plain vinegar might streak.

Use equal parts water, ammonia and rubbing alcohol. The alcohol helps to keep the window from streaking and drys quickly.

I put rubbing alchol and water together, and either get a towel or paper towel depending on what is in my reach. Considering prices now I tend to try to find Towels that way I can rewash. I just put a few drops of the rubbing alchol and put about a gallon of whater. It even cleans the counter tops and the sink. I put the solution in the sink so I don't have to search for bottles, and then that way I can clean the sink out.

I like the vinegar formula too and I have a ton of windows. My tip is an addition to the newspaper usage. My local newspaper sells 'end rolls' for practically nothing. Using the unprinted paper keeps the ink from being a problem on hands or painted frames. Also, the paper is super cheap for kids art work and for packing when moving. I have also recently discovered the magic of micro fiber towels. They leave no lint and can be used over and over (sparing the trees). Dollar Tree sells them in all shapes and sizes for $1 each. They are a real bargain!

I use a previous tip of the day from this site

1/2 tsp liquid dish washing soap

1/4 cup vinegar

2 cups water

Put it in a spray bottle and shake to mix.

I don't subscribe to a newspaper...so I just use paper towels.

A much less expensive product is windshield washer fluid - works great for a whole lot less!