Stopping Drafts In Your Home

I bought a roll of thick plastic and cut it to fit over several windows of the house, and the house is much warmer. I just hung some string across on two nails, or screws and secured the plastic to the string with clothes pins.

It is something I decided to do. I was going to buy the stuff from online (the solar curtains) but I needed so many, it was cheaper to do it this way.

If any of my doors are leaky, clear packaging tape or duct tape helps the drafts not to be so bad.

These are stop gap measures until I can get the regular things at the hardware store, but I have to admit that, since the dogs tear all the stuff off the door, I just keep the duct tape up. I just tape it along where the drafts are and let some hang down, and then tape over the sticky part on the other side.

We have to stop the electric bill from being so high. Before I did this, last year, it was so much colder in the house, and now it is so much nicer.

Also, the windows of our home are really old, so there are some draft issues there too, so I duct taped those too.

Our house is a lot warmer now.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

You can buy actual plastic kits to cover over your windows. They come with adhesive strips to seal the edges. They are easy to install, and really keep out more drafts, as they are sealed at the edges.

I previous lived in a apartment with 3 very large windows in the living room. I bought a roll of fairly thick plastic from HomeDeport and put it up with a staple gun attaching it to cover the whole windows. With my sheer curtains you couldn't see the plastic and it didn't make the room real dark. I could tell a world of difference in the temp of the whole apartment.

Plastic over glass really makes a difference when it is cold outside.

We have a piece of heavy clear plastic, hung with 4 small strips of Velcro, over our sliding glass door that goes out onto our screened in porch. Even though the glass is insulated and there are no drafts from the door, when the weather is real cold the plastic makes the room much more comfortable.

The white strips of velcro, attached to the top of the door frame, are not noticable behind the blinds and have been on the woodwork for several years. With the plastic being attached with velcro, it makes it easy for us to go out onto the porch if need to. We just unhook the end and fold it back.

The Velcro also makes the plastic easy to take down and put up again as needed. When not in use, I keep it folded and out of sight under the hutch.

We did something similar to various windows and then in our sunroom I made drapes out of heavy fabric (luckily I had the fabric, as that can get costly...or look for close out sales), plus one layer of an insulating lining and then the regular lining. Makes a big difference.

Better Living Frugal Living TipsJanuary 5, 2010
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Insulated Winter Window
Insulating Windows
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎉
🎄