Releasing Bread or Cake from Pan

If a cake or quick bread sticks to the bottom of the pan, turn it over onto dish. Saturate a dishtowel with hot water, wring it out to just barely not dripping, and place on bottom of pan. Within a few minutes, the cake or quick bread will loosen and drop to dish. Works every time!

Source: Years and years ago, from my Dad

By msburny from Cortland, OH

Really good to know. Simple and easy.

Thank you.

My secret for no-stick cakes is to cut a circle same size as pan out of a brown paper bag. Not waxed paper or newspaper, but lunch bags or freezer bags from walmart. I grab a bunch when I goin and always have them on hand. If I'm baking several cakes at a time, I cut out circles while the first one is baking. After baking, run a knife around pan edge, flip cake over onto your hand and peel off paper. Then cool on a wire rack.

Glad this works for you. Last time I did that, I ended up with half the cake on the dish and the other half still dangling from the pan! Ruined cake! but maybe that's just me.

Cett, so sorry this didn't work for you. I have had times it didn't work for me also. Dad {the baker} said to set the pan on the hot towel. I guess with a large cake this way may be better. I also like Karenbuddys idea, though I never have brown bags anymore. In fact they are darn hard to find. I guess I could buy some lunch bags if I can remember,,

I use parchment paper with good results. I think you can even use waxed paper.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingNovember 29, 2010
Cake Pan
Choosing the Right Cake Pan
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread
Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread Recipes