Makeup Stain on Sweater

I spilled liquid make-up on a brand new, never worn solid cream colored sweater. I've sprayed Spray N' Wash on it twice and washed it, and it did not come out. Any other suggestions?

Ella from Athens, GA

The make-up probably had an oil base, so you need some kind of solvent, or grease cutter. Dawn dish detergent gets crude oil out of bird's feathers and sea otter's fur. Or one of those 7-minute miracle creams (DiDi-7) may work. I have sometimes found lighter fluid or "Goof-Off" to work on this type of stain. You could try getting professional help from a dry cleaner. If you have put the garment in a dryer, however, you may have 'set' the stain.

I've done that also, but on a nightgown, and tried everything with no success. After washing and drying a dozen times or so, which really set in that stain, I discovered Fels Naptha Soap. It's in the laundry aisle, is very inexpensive, and works like a charm!

I work in fast food and get fryer grease on my shirt all day long. I bought a bottle of "Awesome" from the Dollar Tree store and sprayed the stains until saturated. Even after being washed and dried quite a few times, these stains came completely out! "Awesome" is usually at the back of the store. It's a yellow spray in a clear bottle. I figure if it can take out washed and dried fryer grease, it'll take out just about anything.

Try Dawn dish washing liquid. It needs to be this brand. Put it on the spot and wash as you normally would. You could let it sit for several hours if you want. I've never had Dawn damage any of my clothes and it is great on greasy stains.

Trust me. I know it sounds weird, but lay it stain side down outside overnight on the grass. Then wash as usual. I dont know how it works but it does and came from the days of World War 2 and the depression when soap was hard to get. I have used it now for 2 babys to keep diapers, or as we call them nappies stain free. It works wonderfully. Anything that is stained, will come up clean.

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsOctober 26, 2005
Cardigan made from altering a sweater.
Make a Cardigan From a Sweater
Purse from an Old Sweater
Making a Sweater Purse or Bag
Ugly Sweater Party Ideas
Ugly Sweater Party Ideas
Vintage Cardigan Guard (Sweater Chain)
Making a Vintage Cardigan Guard (Sweater Chain)
🎉
🎄