Cracker Pie

This was my sister's favorite pie.She had asked for this 2 weeks before she died. It tastes like apple but it's cheaper to make.

• 2- 9 inch deep dish pie crusts
  • 20 - 25 saltine crackers, broke in half
  • 1 1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar + 2 Tbsp.
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 Tbsp. milk or cream

In the bottom of your oven put aluminum foil, to catch the overflow from the pie. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix the 1 1/2 cups sugar sugar, cream of tarter and cinnamon together, until there are no lumps.

Add the water mix till the sugar is dissolved. add the broken crackers, just give it a quick stir.

Pour into one pie crust, put the other crust on top and crimp. Cut some slits on top of the crust, for air vents.

Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons milk or cream together. Brush on top of pie crust, and the if you want sprinkle some cinnamon on top of that.

Bake for 45 minutes or until the pie feels and looks set. (You may have to put foil around the edges to keep it from over browning).

Let cool before eating.

Servings: 8
Time:10 Minutes Preparation Time
45 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My Grandmother.

By Sharon from Vian, OK.

If you have never tried this, it tastes much like apple pie. My opinion, is that it is much healthier to eat an apple pie if you are going to eat pie. Lots of sodium and carbs in this recipe.

This pie is a very good mock Apple pie. If you don't want as much sodium try the crackers without salt. But I don't know how that will taste. My grandmother made it because apple's were to expensive for her to buy,crackers are cheaper. Apples are again expensive unless your lucky enough to have a apple tree. I hope everyone will give this recipe a try.

Thanks, Sharon

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts PiesSeptember 2, 2009
Cracker Crumbs on Wooden Cutting Board
Using Cracker Crumbs
cheesecake with graham cracker crust
Dessert Ideas With a Graham Cracker Crust
Graham Cracker Crust
Diabetic Graham Cracker Crust Recipes
Cheesecake with a graham cracker crumb crust.
Saving Money on Graham Cracker Crumbs