Reusing Corks

Category Reusing
Wine cork used as name card holder
Wine bottle corks can be used for craft projects and many other interesting ways. This guide is about reusing corks.

Don't throw away your wine corks. They can be repurposed as a gift or for your own kitchen decor. Cut a block of wood the size you'd need for the size of corks. Paint the wood the color of choice. Glue felt feet on bottom 4 corners. Glue corks onto wood base. Use fabric or burlap to wrap around the corks. Glue the fabric to the sides of the wood and outside of cork. Embellish with raffia.

Place a cork on the point of knives to keep out of harms way. Great for kitchen drawers or when packing for picnics, BBQs or cookouts and Parties.

By Karen H. from Pawtucket, RI

Rather than buy tip holders for my knitting needles at the craft store, I put old artificial wine corks to use! They already have a hole in them and the tips of the needles can be made to fit them easily. Another craft savings.

By Pamphyila from L.A., CA

Wine corks are great for fishing. Tie the line around a cork or drill small hole and put line through in hole then put match wood stick or a toothpick in hole. Also great to make fly fishing lures out of corks too.

By Mike Jr from Ligonier, IN

To safely store an ice pick or any other utensil with a sharp tip, just stick into a wine cork. Better grab a real cork while you can get them since they are being replaced with man-made materials more and more often.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Do you have any tips on reusing wine corks?

We have a lot of information about this here on the site from a previous request. Go to: http://www.thri  f000270.tip.html" rel="nofollow" target="new">http://www.thri  f000270.tip.html

I had in excess of 500 wine corks. Some restaurants will save them for you. My neighbor crafts a beautiful wine cork wreath (and she says her design requires at least 500 corks). She 'nails' the corks onto a board frame work, & also decorates with artificial grapes & grape leaves. Sometimes, she decorates a wreath with spanish moss and assorted sea shells. She said the 'nailed' wreath is easier than the glue-process.

An inexpensive recipe card holder is a plain little cork. Just cut a slit into the narrow end of the cork at a slight angle. Then slide your recipe card into the slit. You will be able to follow your recipe easily and it will keep your card clean.

By Katz

I saw a hot plate made out of them. They had a picture frame and arranged and glued them in it.

Was unique looking.

What can I make with a lot of wine corks?

By memas from Mtn. View, AR

The cutest thing I've seen is a cork bulletin board. The corks are laid on their sides with the label facing up then glued on to a framed board. You then pin notes into them.

Anonymous

Assuming they are not the rounded mushroom top type: Glue together bottom side down of one to the side of a top side down of another and keep rotating/building for a unique trivet of any size you choose ;-)

Check out my web album for lots of cool ways to use corks. I have been saving corks for ages in hopes that one day I will have enough to make a huge wall decoration! I have collected these photos from all around the web.

Any ideas for making any crafts or finding a way to reuse corks from wine bottles? Any practical uses for them in the garden, or outdoors, perhaps?

Read Ideas below.

Answers:

wreath

Glue them to a straw covered wreath real close together and attaching a bunch of artificial grapes and a raffia bow at the bottom or side and hanging it in your kitchen. Schuyler (11/30/2000)

By admin2

Interesting creations

Glue the corks together to make many wonderful and interesting creations. Try making a picture frame, a candle base, or even coasters. Lynn (11/30/2000)

By admin2

For the garden and for crafts

Yes, there is a wonderful use for old corks both for the garden and for crafts. For the garden cut them into tiny pieces, unless you have a chipper or blender to run them through. Put them into the garden. They are great for absorbing and holding moisture for your plants.

For a craft project for kids, use the cork as the "body" of a stick figure made with pipe cleaners. Take some of the "fuzz" off the ends and stick them into the cork. You can use a cork cut in half for the head. It lets the kids be very creative with the rest of them, adding things like clothes and accessories. Have fun. Sandra, from Upstate NY (11/30/2000)

By admin2

Simple picture frame

The wine corks can be placed in a simple picture frame with a wood backing, glued in in rows or a pattern and it makes a great hot plate or serving tray. I have seen these sold in mail order catalogs for lots of money. Helpful Reader (11/30/2000)

By admin2

Lynette Jennings' show

I saw the cutest wreath made with them on Lynette Jennings' show a while back. The lady had covered a straw wreath with corks going all different directions, but sideways. She had first covered the wreath with wine bottle labels or something that looked like that. She had it in her basement which she had decorated as a wine tasting room. Just a thought. Lutie - KS (11/30/2000)

By admin2

Old bottles

In response to use of corks, take old bottles, fill with herbs, green and red peppers fruits, etc. fill bottle with vinegar and cork. Corks can also be lined up and glued around a picture frame, put in a decorative jar, glued on the backs of doors for doorstops, cut into slices for placing under tabletop glass, glued under chair legs. Denise (11/30/2000)

By admin2

Be creative!

For corks, you could decorate them for Christmas trees by putting a red pom pom on for nose, put on the small end and pipe cleaners for antlers on the large end and voila, and you have Rudolph. String with nylon fishing line and hang on the tree. I would imagine you could make bunnies for Easter using pink pom poms and just about any other holiday decoration. Then you could hang the bunnies and plastic eggs on an outside tree. Be creative. Joyce (11/30/2000)

By admin2

beautiful wreath

My girlfriend made me a beautiful wreath out of wine corks. You just hot glue them to a wreath form
(every which way), then embellish with whatever. Mine has a terra cotta pot (glued) that holds a wine bottle, with a bunch of grapes, wired ribbon and leaves. It's beautiful. Lori (11/30/2000)

By admin2

ends of sharp tools

I use them to cover the ends of sharp tools like an awl. (That won't use up many) It helps me find them in the tool box and not get poked while I'm looking. Another use is glue lots of them (on end) to a shallow cardboard box. Then you can either cover it with cloth or leave the cork showing, put a hanger on the back and use it as a bulletin board. Or use a small gift box with top, glue the corks inside (again on end). It can then be used as a container to stick thumb tacks and push pins into it, or pins and needles for that matter. Have fun, Susan - Reader's Request Editor (11/30/2000)

By admin2

slice the cork in equal pieces

Using a sharp kitchen knife, slice the cork in equal pieces and put a piece of double faced tape on (trim tape to size) then use them on items that you would normally put purchased felt pads on to keep from scratching furniture. It's hard to believe Ness doesn't have all the answers; I enjoy your tips. Ms. Syd B. - Dunkirk, MD (11/30/2000)

By admin2

Ideas for Corks?

I did a fun craft with my kids one year when we went camping. Took a cheap ($1 or less) straw hat from the craft store, a size to fit each child, then with needle and heavy thread/light string, I threaded the corks onto about 4 inches of string (use a button to keep the end of string from coming all the way through the cork). Then, with needle still attached, I passed the thread through the edge of the brim of the hat and tied it off (you can use another button here, for strength, if needed). We did this with about 10 corks around the brim of the hat when you wear the hat out hiking/gardening, the swinging corks keep the flies out of your face. (01/29/2001)

By one_ramp

Ideas for Corks?

Floating candle wreath. Cut one cork in half (this will act as the center holder for the float). Glue (use hot glue) full size corks around the center cork making 2 or three layers. If you would like to decorate the float use paints that are water proof. You can also stick things into the corks for unique decorations, use your imagination, remember to just things that will not be wrecked by the water it will be sitting in. (03/13/2002)

By the_mouse_2b

Ideas for Corks?

I'm lazy. What I did to use a lot of corks is place them in a very big plain clear glass vase, loosely wrap a shear ribbon around the vase and placed it on top of my kitchen cabinets. It doesn't need to be watered or fade in the sun (like the colored pasta jars) and looks great. If you have that late 80's/early 90's style kitchen, it's a great fill for the big open space above the cabinets. (01/16/2006)

By Teri

Ideas for Corks?

I have seen corks from wine bottles used to make a "beaded" curtain for the doorway of a wine bar. (03/07/2006)

By Wendy

Ideas for Corks?

I've made wreaths, huge cork boards, hot pads, and Christmas tree decorations. My favorite is to just put them in a large glass vase for a centerpiece. I have also used them as decoration in a jewelry display case. Always looking for more ideas. I hang one on my fly fishing vest when I am in the high country since the flies are so small. I just stick them in the cork so I don't have to fight the case I carry them in and, oh yeah, they always work well as a fishing bobber. (12/15/2006)

By DJ in MT

Ideas for Corks?

I'm using champagne corks to hold place cards and table numbers at my wedding. Just make a small slit in the top, slide in the cardstock and it makes for a beautiful, but simple place card holder. And it's so much cheaper than buying them in the store. (07/12/2007)

By Ashley

Ideas for Corks?

I bought a piece of shelving wood at the hardware store and glued all the corks on top of it in a cool pattern. Then I ordered a piece of beveled glass to put on top of it. At the art store in town I bought small pedestals for the legs and voila it became a really awesome coffee table. Later, I ended up buying large pedestals and it became a sofa table that I put behind my couch. Everyone loved it so much that I actually had a friend buy it from me and I made another. The custom glass was the most expensive thing, but for about $70 I made a table that looked very expensive.
Good luck. (11/05/2008)

By Carrie