Store FinderConsumer Advice

Shopping at IKEA

Recently, I have been hearing so much raving about the IKEA stores; but I am having trouble locating any in my area, northern KY or southern IN. What kind of store is it; and can a person purchase via catalog? Tell me more, please. Thanks.

By Lois from Louisville, KY

Ikea is a Swedish firm that specializes in "Scandanavian Modern" furniture - Lots of white laminate & birch veneer & pine. You put them together yourself. Yes, there is a catalog - but I have only picked it up at the store. Lots of great inexpensive housewares - curtains, kitchen stuff, rugs...etc.

Its kind of a house furnishings store.

Online

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/

Catalog

http://info.ikea-usa.com/Catalog/

The closest one to you is

IKEA West Chester

9500 IKEA Way

West Chester, OH 45069

There is one in Chicago, but I suggest you go on line and check it out.

Hi Lois,

Ikea has furniture, shelving, and containers that are just great! You can request a catalog at their website, as well as browse on it. Hope you will enjoy it!

Ikea is a great place to find not only furniture but houseware. They have an awesome supply of kitchen stuff that is very inexpensive. The West Chester store in Ohio is close to the Jeffersonville Outlet malls. There is also one near Pittsburgh.

I have looked into shipping from IKEA and it is pretty expensive. If you can't go to the store and aren't looking for something specific, I wouldn't bother with the catalog.

That said, a trip to IKEA is an event for me and my family. It is about 45 minutes away so we make it count. Beware, it is like Costco in that it is nearly impossible to leave without spending about $100. If you are every near one, you might want to check it out.

Really nice-looking assemble-it-yourself furniture. Also kitchen and home deco and linens, etc. I've had the catalog, but a lot of items in it aren't available...only in the stores. I'm in N.E. TN and the closest is Charlotte, N.C. It's worth going if you need furniture or want to do a big splurge of retail therapy.

The store in West Chester is on the outskirts of Cincinnati.