Donate Care Packages For Christmas

During the year I go on-line to freebie sites. I get a lot of samples in the mail and save them up for stocking stuffers and care boxes. These care boxes are made up to send to overseas soldiers, my local woman's shelters, and convalescence hospitals, depending on how much I can get a hold of. In these boxes are toiletries, socks, activity booklets, pens, and a small little gift that I have handmade. The only difficulty I have is getting a hold of shoe boxes. These care packages, I have been told, have brightened up many a people that would not have anything to open on Christmas morning, I sign the card/gift tag as Santa.

By Lorna from Clinton, OK

Have you tried asking shoe stores or maybe dept stores for shoe boxes? It's possible if you explain what you are using them for they will gladly give you some. Try using Freecycle.

What a wonderfully thoughtful idea! Thank you so much for your generosity! I happen to work at a Veteran's hospital where we have acute and long term care. There are many sick, retired, and homeless Veterans that have no family and essentially no visitors. The only gifts they receive are from staff or donations from some wonderful organizations like VFW.

Regarding shoe boxes, you could also try posting in the "things wanted" section of Craigs List. People are always throwing shoe boxes away.

In regards to the shoe boxes. At one time I was in charge of the mission group at our church and each Christmas we would fill shoe boxes for a local woman's shelter. Anyway I started early and asked dept stores and shoe stores to save them for me. They were more than happy to do it when I told them what it was for. One store (I think maybe Target) gave me what they use when a pair of shoes is missing the box which was flat brown shoe boxes you put together yourself( like a flat gift box but for shoes). These were great because they were much easier to store till I needed them. Good luck!

What a special person you are to do this! God bless you and enable you to continue in your most needed act of love. You have inspired a lot of us, I am sure & certainly given me an idea for free samples I get through the mail, etc. Thank you.

I would bet shoe stores or dept stores that carry shoes would be happy to donate shoe boxes to you for your noble cause.

Many times I have used shoe boxes for my church youth group. I also use them to store my craft projects in. Anyway, I go to our local discount shoe store and ask for the extra boxes. Many people don't want the boxes when they buy the shoes. My store saves them for people who do exactly what you do - also for scouts, 4-H , etc.

There is a wonderful, honest, charity where I donate. It is Samaritans Purse, started by Billy Graham's son, Franklin Graham. They take shoeboxes overseas for children. If you Google Samaritan's Purse, you can read about how you can use those very things to help them. This is just one more idea. You are doing a great service in your hometown, and you gave me the idea to do this for our Woman's shelter.

I love this idea. However, I wonder at the anonymity of it. I would sign my name. I believe what people really want is community connection. Yes, they need all those other things too... and if I had to choose between new socks and community? I would gladly wear hole-y socks.

Happy holidays.

Box of Christmas donations.
Helping Others at Christmas
Better Living Charity AdviceDecember 18, 2010
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Friendship Gift Package
Making a Friendship Gift Package
Care Packages for Troops
Sending Care Packages to Troops
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume