Saving Money on Flour

Tips for saving money on flour from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas.

Watch The Prices When Buying Bulk

Buying flour is usually cheaper in the five pound bags as opposed to the twenty five pound bags so there is NO savings in buying bulk on this item.

By Reta

Buy On Sale After The Holidays

Flour usually goes on sale around holidays. Know when a great sale is and stock up. It may stay on the shelf for a few months until your next sale. If you are extending the storage up to 1 year, you can store it in the freezer but surround it in a plastic bag for protection.

By sue

Check The Ethnic Foods Section For Bargains

On the ethnic foods isle in grocery stores, you can find flour for a much cheaper price if it has been imported from Mexico. Recently at a discount grocery outlet, I purchased 3 five pound bags of flour for a dollar! Sugar, corn meal, spices and other baking needs are often cheaper in this section. I haven't noticed a difference in quality.

By Shannon

Store In Old Popcorn Tins

Buy one of them large cans, that come with the three different flavors of popcorn in them. Once empty, wash them, and store your flour in there. That's what I do, and I've never had a problem. I don't even know what a weevil is.

By Mama_05

Insect Control

Store In Freezer

I keep my flour in the freezer to prevent weevils from taking over.

By Barbaral

Freeze Then Store With A Bay Leaf

Flour only needs to be frozen for a day or two and then can be placed in a sealed container with one or two bay leaves. I tape the bay leaves to the canister lid so they don't get lost. You'll never get weevils this way.

By Annie

Add Bay Leaves To All Flours And Grain Based Products

Buy a bag of bay leaves. Open up your cornmeal, your flours, your cream of wheat, your oatmeal and anything else that might tempt these small visitors. Drop a few bay leaves in and you will never need to freeze or store your things in metal pans. This only works on weevils or small things, not mice.

By notetotel

Saving Money On Flour

Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingOctober 19, 2007
All Purpose Flour
What is All Purpose Flour?
Cake Flour
Using Cake Flour
Bread Machine
Recipes Using All Purpose Flour in Bread Machine
Sifting Flower
Sifting Flour Without a Sifter
🎄
🍂