Department Store Bags for Laundry Organizing

Don't throw away those department store handle bags. Store them in your linen closet and use them to carry the various loads of wash to the laundry room and then put the clean clothes back in them to carry them to the areas in the house where the items are stored.

Janet, I think using the shopping bags to carry dirty clothes to your laundry room is a great idea. However, I don't think it's a sanitary idea to put your clean, washed clothes into the same bags to carry back to store them. In fact, I wouldn't want to use shopping bags for clean clothes even if they hadn't been used for carrying dirty clothes. A lot of times people add books they're reading, other items, etc. to their shopping bags. Thus, they wouldn't be clean. I'm going to start using the bags however to carry my laundry TO the laundry room. Thanks for the suggestion!

~Sharyn

Atlanta, Georgia

They are just clothes; I wouldn't be that worried about my clean clothes touching where the dirty clothes had been. Maybe underwear only, but that's it. We are too germophobic these days! Our bodies were created to be able to fight off SO many germs and bacteria and our over-use of antibacterial gels, etc. is ridiculous! Let kids eat dirt and play in dirt and stop worrying so much about germs and dirt! Sorry, I just felt like a rant.

I'm just glad I'm 59 and grew up when I did back when we just lived and played and weren't so wrapped up in a bunch of unnecessary worries. I feel sorry for all the children who never get to go outdoors to play in a world that is so much safer than parents today are led to believe. Kids today are prisoners who have to stay indoors and they are getting fatter and have to be constantly entertained and aren't allowed to use their imagination. It makes me sad for kids who have no freedom to enjoy the beauty of the world and the outdoors. It's pathetic. I hope that parents change and allow their kids to play outdoors again someday and stop helicopter parenting too.

This is a good idea; one I'm going to try. People are too worried about germs.