Determining the Value of Antique Dishes

I have some antique dishes, Flying Turkey, with the "M" mark in a wreath, "T" mark in a wreath or triangle, and "TT" in triangles. What are they worth (ball park)? They were made in the early 19th Century.

By fyfer from Colchester, VT

Why not take the plates to an appraiser. They would have the best idea of their value. There are many listed in the yellow pages.

I had a wall dish with rooster on. I contacted the company thru the internet. I sent a picture and they gave me a estimate appraisal thru e-mail. Of course if you do not have a name that would be hard to do.

Anonymous

An appraiser will charge you for the appraisal. You can find the answer for free. Kovels! You can go to this link and search and if you don't find at their site online for a free search of what you're looking for go to your local library and borrow as many years of Kovels books as you can. If your particular library does not have them on their shelves ask for an inter-library book loan. http://www.kovels.com/

Take a photo of your china and email it to Replacements, Ltd. They are in Greensboro, NC. They will help you identify your pattern. Good luck!

Anonymous

Oh, I forgot about Replacements LTD! Here's their link and you might find your pattern on a search there!

http://www.repl  =kx&982&

Flying Turkey is also known as Blue Phoenix; you may want to Google "Noritake pottery marks". Though you're dating them early 19th C., Noritake used the M ( yep, an M, not an N) within wreath mark from around 1914 when they started to do a lot of exporting up to 1940. This mark was used on many different Noritake pottery pieces, not just the Blue Phoenix, that pattern mainly surfaced and was popular in the USA in the 1920's.

That said, if the marks you find after Googling date your pieces to the 20's--they're still worth a little bit. Looking around on eBay and other websites is showing it not uncommon for a dinner plate alone to be going for $40 and up.

(I've been selling, mainly pottery, on eBay for about eight years. If you're planning on selling the pieces, be aware that an antique dealer will probably realistically only offer you about 25-30% of what your pieces are worth; and selling them as a complete set on eBay may not be the way to go, either shipping rates for weight for a large lot of dinnerware tends to bring out the buyers who want to let's-make-a-deal on the cost of the items to offset the shipping expense--and you also have to take into consideration the aggravation and possible breakage in transit that can go hand-in-hand with mailing huge boxes of dinnerware.)

If it were me, and I wanted to sell them, I'd break them up into small sets, like four dinner plates, four bread & butter plates; four soup bowls and so on making separate auctions. It's easier to manage shipping them and also easier to sell them, as there are always people looking for just a few replacement pieces as opposed to the full set.

Sorry if I jumped the gun on the selling thing and passed along way too much info, just think you have something really nice there and the eBayer in me kicked in. :)