Clothing WashersAppliances

Top Load Washer Does Not Agitate

I have a Frigidaire top loading washer that stopped washing after the initial wash when it started to pump the water out. My machine will fill up with water now, but it will not continue to the wash cycle. The machine just starts to hum after it reaches the correct water level. Has anyone had this problem?

By Jan from TX

Gee, I wish I had posted a comment when my machine did the same thing. I was told to throw it out and I bought a new one. My Simpson washer was only 2 years old. I will remember in the future what to do. Thanks to your comments.

My Hotpoint top-load washer was moved without the shipping bar. I didn't know until I read the manual after it didn't work. The washer will not agitate now, but when it did it made a horribly loud grinding noise. What broke and can I fix this myself?

By Linda from West Allis, WI

Answers:

Top Load Washer Does Not Agitate

I just had the same thing repaired on my washer. It is a direct drive (no belt) there is a little gear piece (made of plastic) on the motor that turns the tub and it broke, made a horrible sound. We are lucky enough to know of someone who comes to your home to repair appliances and he fixed that and a refrigerator that had gone out (not the compressor) for about $120.00 including service call. Ask around and see if anyone knows someone who does home repair it took about 15 minutes to fix. Good luck. (01/22/2010)

By Ladylynnk

Top Load Washer Does Not Agitate

Ladylynnk is correct. It is a 3 piece coupling between the motor and transmission. Some years back, money was tight even back then, I didn't have the money for a repairman, so I looked the repair up online. I got the part, (which I keep one on hand at all times cause they usually break when the repair parts stores are not open). I followed the directions I got online and made the repair myself. (02/14/2010)

By carnation037