Baking Soda for Exfoliating Mask

The other day I was using baking soda for any of the million jobs that it does around the house, and I noticed this: if you mix three parts baking soda and one part water (I used 1 tsp. of it with just enough water to make it into a paste), you can use it as an exfoliating mask! Just use it after you've washed your face, and then rinse. It also suggests using it once a week for "fuller, more manageable hair" by mixing one teaspoon to your shampoo once a week. Who'da thunk it? Talk about frugal living!

Source: armhammer.com

By Pollylev

Dab some baking soda inside your wrist and make sure you aren't allergic before putting it on your face. Baking soda makes my skin turn red, burn, and itch.

Pollylev:

Yea! Power to the People! = )

I used to add it to my shampoo years ago.

Forgot about that!

Thanx for the reminder!

It also removes hairspray build up when mixed with shampoo.

I've been doing this for years after realizing the texture of an expensive exfoliate felt familiar. I use an empty spice shaker top bottle and mix in some cornstarch which helps keeps it more "shakeable" and then I shake it in my palm with a bit of generic Lubriderm (much less expensive) and gently clean face. My version is more gentle, but still does the job. Worth a try.

I have also been using baking soda for years as an exfoliating scrub. I mix in a few drops of my face cleanser as well as water, and scrub with it. It is amazing, and works much better than expensive facial scrubs. You can use it all over your body.

This might work for skin that is not sensitive but it can burn the skin if it is, and not to be used on tender young skin because of the burning it can cause. Baking Soda is a caustic based mineral salt and has many, many great uses. But on the face, it should be used with caution for most folks.

Maybe a better solution is oatmeal as a mask exfoliate it is milder and leaves the skin smooth and feeds that skin with the protein in the oat itself. I was an a skin care specialist for many years and have seen home made things either hurt or help. In this case be caustic and do not use if it burns your wrist as suggested.

In your Thrifty tip it says "It also suggests using it once a week for "fuller, more manageable hair" by mixing one teaspoon to your shampoo once a week. Where is IT? Could you be more explicit about this, as I can use any tips to help my terribly thin and unruly hair. Any help will be graciously accepted and appreciated! Thank you!

Homemade Exfoliator
Homemade Exfoliator Recipes
Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes FaceJuly 8, 2009
Hands massaging a sugar scrub into feet
Strawberry Foot Exfoliant
pink satin sleep mask
Homemade Sleeping Mask
exfoliating glove
Using an Exfoliating Glove for Cleaning
A sugar scrub with sugar near it.
Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipes
🎉
🎄