Tips for a Small Laundry Room

With 5 in our family and a small laundry room, this can be a challenge for us. The kids each have a basket in their rooms. Then there's a 'general' basket in the bathroom. Everyone brings their baskets down on certain days (Mondays and Fridays). When I do the laundry, I hang it outside. The trick that I have might take a bit longer but it cuts out a step for me.

When laundry is dry, I take it off the line, person by person. I'll take "A" laundry all down and fold it as I do it, then "B" and so on. This way I can get some extra exercise walking from one area of lines to another. Then when I get back in the house each person's basket is placed with their clean laundry in it for them to put away. This has worked for me for several years and it keeps my tiny area free.

I only use my homemade soap so I don't have a bunch of other bottles sitting around. If I need something extra, it's close by in the kitchen. Having 2 football players, I do have to let their white pants soak overnight in a bucket but that gets put out of the way. Hope this helps some.

By Nancy from Troy, OH

I like this tip, but I would let the kids do their own laundry. You could assign each a day, and then only one person in the room at a time, only one set of laundry. And far less work for mom. My sons did their own laundry from the time they were about 10 years old.

I was wondering if you could share your "recipe" for the home laundry soap?

Open front load washer with clothing hanging out. There are laundry product bottles on the floor and baskets stacked nearby.
Organizing Your Laundry Room
Organizing LaundrySeptember 9, 2008
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Laundry in Washing Machine
How To Do Laundry
Dry laundry detergent stored in glass canisters.
Storing Dry Laundry Detergent
Modern laundry room with front load washer,dryer, and ironing board.
Laundry Room Paint Color Advice
🎄