Dry Eraser to Remove Permanent Marker

contest winner icon

My name is Shannon and I have found an amazing, magical, cleaning assistant. You see, I have an almost 3 year old at home who loves to get his hands on permanent markers and color on things he shouldn't. Like my antique coffee table and 2 end tables that happen to be solid wood and my favorite cherry stain color. Today, I found 3 more "drawings" he had been hiding from me all in permanent marker.

Now, I do drawings and art projects that require me to use such markers and I have them in EVERY color you could possibly think of. This time he had gone to far, he drew on all three of my tables, HIS cherry stain sleigh bed, his cherry stain dresser AND our RENTED white walls.

Frantically I called my mother to ask her what to do. She told me that at the hospital where she works at; when someone accidentally gets permanent marker on a solid surface where it doesn't belong, they just take a dry erase marker and go over the permanent marker and it comes right off. I then explained that I had NO idea how long it had been there and that it was in all different colors; but all she said is it won't hurt to try.

She said to use any dry erase marker color you have, it doesn't matter. Scribble over the permanent marker and then wipe it away with a paper towel, cloth or whatever you have and, "POOF", it's gone. She also told me that when I use it on the white wall it might leave a hint of the dry erase markers color but all you need is a wet rag or something to get that off.

To my surprise, IT WORKED! ON ALL THE SURFACES! It almost makes me want to draw on things with a sharpie just for fun. So I guess grandma saves her grandson yet again from one of his goofy mistakes.

By Shannon

This makes me want to scribble on my coffee table and use your (Mom's) suggestion, lol. Thanks for the future :o)

This is so helpful. I have a 3-year-old, with the same tendency to scribble in inappropriate places, with any markers he can find! It may be too late, for some things (like the lovely maple doors throughout the house, and some of the furniture), but like your mom said, it can't hurt to try. Thank you so much! :o)

Wow, that's incredible. I use permanent markers a lot also. I have no small kids but I can manage to get them on stuff all on my own. I cant wait to try out this idea. Thanks so much for sharing, and thanks to your mom too!

Great great idea, I have a 2 and 3 yr old. I'm more than sure this tip will come in handy. Thanks

Tip of a Sharpie marker at the end of a squiggly line on white background.
Removing Permanent Marker
Parenting General Parenting Joys of MotherhoodOctober 14, 2009
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
Man wiping car exterior with a cloth
Removing Permanent Marker from a Car
🎉
🎄