Uses for Sour Milk

I would like to find uses for sour milk.

By Barbara

Best Answer

Pour it in the garden pour it in your compost pile ( you do have one don't you ) :-) use it to water your plants outside , and roses love it !

Best Answer

Only raw milk sours properly. Any milk that's been pasteurized will only rot and never sour. But if you have access to raw milk and it sours you can use it interchangeably with buttermilk. Its delish and tastes like a a mellow buttermilk.

You can add lemon juice to pasteurized milk to try and approximate soured milk, but its just not the same. If you ask me just use buttermilk. Most States make it really hard our outright ban raw milk because of some wonky misguided drive to sterilize the planet.

There should be all kinds of recipes using sour milk. I would google recipes for sour milk and see what comes up.

Not an attack, just a note: Americans (most anyway) know what scones are. ;)

I remember a chocolate cake that called for sour milk and you can also make pancakes and biscuits with it.

Making biscuits and pancakes is a good use for sour milk. Also, if you mash potatoes, it is fine to use this. Even a casserole (such as would need milk) Other than being a little yucky to drink, sour milk can still be used for cooking. :)

November 23, 2010 Flag

When I have milk in the refrigerator that is just starting to sour, although it doesn't taste or smell too good, it is still safe to consume it. Then I know it is time to make baked macaroni or pudding or some other recipe that calls for a lot of milk. If there is still some of the milk left, I freeze it in small containers for future use in cooking.

By Judy from Columbia, MD

Answers:

Uses for Sour Milk

At first I was in shock over this tip and then I thought, "Deeli, you like cottage cheese don't you, so what's wrong with baking with curdled milk?" Thanks for sharing what you do with the curdles. :-) (12/02/2009)

By Deeli

Uses for Sour Milk

You can make a delicious dessert. "Dulce de leche cortada", (Sweet Caramel Milk Curds). I do it the simple way, just boil the sour milk with "Panela" (a solid piece of Sugar Cane extract found in Latin supermarkets), or you can use brown sugar until most water evaporates. It takes some time, but is worth it.

Now, if you want a little bit more detailed recipe for Dulde De Leche Cortada, Try this:
http://icuban.com/food/dulce_cortada.html

(05/13/2010)

By antores

RE: Uses for Sour Milk

December 1, 2009 Flag

I have almost a gallon of sour milk. What can I do with it other than throw it away? Can I make something with it?

Thank you,
Sandy

Answers:

Uses for Sour Milk

Let it sit at room temperature until it curdles (or "clabbers"). Line a large bowl with about 4 layers of cheese cloth and pour the sour milk into the bowl. Bring up corners and tie the gloppy mess securely by winding sturdy string around it several times. Suspend it and let it drain over the bowl overnight and in the morning, you will have cottage cheese. As for the liquid part, I suppose you could use it in soup or gravy or else mix it with dry dog or cat food. (07/22/2005)

By Seagrape

Uses for Sour Milk

I've used it in biscuits. It's about the same as adding buttermilk and doesn't affect the taste. Now some may say it's not HEALTHY. I ain't dead yet! (07/22/2005)

By Sharon,Ky

Uses for Sour Milk

I would freeze it in small containers in the amounts that my recipes call for, such as butter tubs. Use it in baking; biscuits, pancakes, etc. (07/22/2005)

By suzq

Uses for Sour Milk

I have also made biscuits, pancakes, and bread pudding,
(07/22/2005)

By dsbaby14

Uses for Sour Milk

I have some friends who grow roses (beautiful, I might add) and they give them milk every couple of months, so why not use the sour milk. All the nutrients are still there. Now all your rose growers, this is just something a friend does so I don't know myself. I can kill an artificial plan, if you know what I mean. (07/23/2005)

By Toni

Uses for Sour Milk

Use in recipes calling for buttermilk. (07/23/2005)

By Linda

Uses for Sour Milk

Two words: Banana bread. (07/24/2005)

By Carol

Uses for Sour Milk

Pour it in the garden, pour it in your compost pile (you do have one, don't you ) :-) Use it to water your plants outside and roses love it ! (07/24/2005)

By ROSA

Uses for Sour Milk

If you have a septic tank, pour it down the toilet. The enzymes in the milk will help clean your septic tank. It helps. (07/25/2005)

By 1bigmama

Uses for Sour Milk

Pour the sour milk into the soil of your plants. (08/16/2005)

By BrookesMommy

Uses for Sour Milk

Milk is supposed to be good 7 days past the sell-by date. I just returned some sour milk to the store where I purchased it and got a free replacement gallon even though it had expired 3 days earlier. (10/31/2005)

By Kerry

Uses for Sour Milk

Sour milk makes the nicest scones (biscuits for those who are American). You can also use yogurt or sour yogurt (05/23/2006)

By Mirraelle. Wales

Uses for Sour Milk
Uses for Sour Milk
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesNovember 23, 2010
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
fresh delicious sour cream
Homemade Sour Cream Recipes
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
🎉
🎄