Keeping Bees Out of the Hummingbird Feeder

Bees and hummingbirds are often found in the same places in your garden. However, if you are putting out food for the hummingbirds it can attract an unwanted amount of bees. This is a guide about keeping bees out of he hummingbird feeder.

Bee on Hummingbird Feeder
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My brother insists that 100+ bees drained his hummingbird feeder within minutes, and I say this is impossible. Anyone have an answer for this?

By B. Jones

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Definitely can happen! Bees can empty a hum feeder and quickly. I have not seen it happen myself but my husband has and he is an entomologist.

Read More Answers...

The best solution I have found for keeping bees and wasps away from hummingbird feeders is mint extract of some sort. After I wash the feeders, and before I fill them, I take a Q-tip, dip it in the extract, and apply it to the ports. I also apply to the edge where the bottle comes in contact with the bottom, and, if applicable, along the seal created when putting top and bottoms together.

This simple solution worked the first time I used it and has worked ever since. Using extracts can be costly. My tiny bottle lasted for over three years, and yes, it froze during the winter months.

I haven't tried rubbing fresh mint leaves to the ports, etc., but I am sure this would also work.

Source: I cannot recall exactly where online I found this solution. Perhaps hummingbird(s).net

By Leeanne C. from Clio, MI

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found this recently in my Country Wisdom book, and decided to share it because it really works great at my house! We have hummingbird feeders hanging on our porch and noticed that the yellow jackets were volatile to humans and my poor hummers! So, upon reading how to make hummingbird nectar, it also had how to deter bees.

First of all the nectar recipe is: 1 part water to 3 parts sugar, cook until it comes to a nice boil, but not rolling, then simmer on low 5 minutes. Let cool and pour into container. This will keep for a week in the fridge, if it turns cloudy throw it out.

Okay, now around the holes of your feeder put Vaseline or oil (I prefer Vaseline) with either your finger or Q-tip or small spatula. Hope this helps.

Source: Country Wisdom

By Henrietta B. from Westminster, SC

Editor's Note: Many comments have been sent in to discourage using Vaseline on hummingbird feeders. It can be damaging to the hummingbirds. Also, the most common ratio for making hummingbird solution is 4 (water):1 sugar)

Would anyone know of any homemade solutions or handy tips on how to keep yellow jackets away from hummingbird feeders?

By Beverly from Easley, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In one of the posts there is a link to "First Nature" web site. Upon reading the post and clinking on the link I found the feeders as suggested. It wasn't until I got to the check out that I noticed a problem. They charge you the price of the feeder for the shipping! So, the feeder just doubled in price. (Even if they state that this is an "estimated shipping cost" they are still charging that amount at check-out). Do not use this link.

Read More Answers...

I have been reading about a variety of ideas for keeping ants, etc., out of hummingbird feeders. I have cared for hummingbirds for over 30 years and I've tried just about everything out there.

Hummingbird Feeder With Bees

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had a lot of problems with yellow jackets, ants, and paper wasps around my hummingbird feeder. To solve this problem I took a strip of cotton and sprayed it with Raid Hornet and Wasp spray. You only want to dampen the cotton. Then I enclosed it in an onion bag, those mesh or net bags onions come in.

I tied both ends shut. Then I tied it onto the hanger and twirled in around so it came down the one side short of the feeder holes. This has worked like a charm and the hummers do not have any problems feeding. *Be sure the cotton is damp and NOT drippy!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Bees are going to the coloured sugar water I hang from the tress for the birds, near their food. How can I prevent or distract the bees from taking over the bottle? They get angry if I chase them away.

By Fiona

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have again this year been thru 60 lbs of sugar in 65 days so far. We do not know how many birds but hundreds in three waves since June 15 in NM. Wash you feeders with every refill ( 120 ) so far on 32 oz feeders we use 3 very well with cold water and dry off before, do not spill and only use. 1 sugar to 4 parts water no need to boil, no color added, do otuse store bought humming bird solutions ever. Wehave been doing this for 8 years,they come back every year with more!

When I hang my hummers food trays, all I get is bees and wasps. What can I do? And no matter where I hang it, they come.
    Thank you.

By Lorraine

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Birds are super sensitive to the spray. Reading the can is your first hint. It will kill your pet bird is another hint. Please do not do this ever. It is horrible. Also the bees carry it back to the hive and you can guess the rest. Bees are in big trouble and do not need us to add more threats. There are much more sensitive ways to control them. Yellow flowers on feeders are no good, reduce proportions to 1:5 instead of 1:4. Make super strong 1:3 or 1:2 nectar for bees in their own feeder and move it away from your hummer's feeders, a little further each day might be best so the can move along. Call Hummingbird Society in your area for more ideas but no bug spray. Ever.

Read More Answers...

How do I keep ants from getting into my bird feeders? I have gone to clean them out and had literally thousands of ants come out of them. Also, any suggestions on keeping wasps and other creatures away from the hummingbird feeders?

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The fishing line & the petroleum jelly did not work for me. Nor the brown bag for the wasp. I think i'll try the water moot next.

Read More Answers...

We have honey bees in our hummingbird feeders. We have the feeders with the red flowers which someone suggested would keep bees and yellow jackets away, but it doesn't work. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

By Clyde N

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have 10 feeders out....we have a ton of hummingbirds. Now the honey bees showed up (for the past four years). A family in our neighborhood has hives. We can't even sit on our deck. There are hundreds of them. All my feeders have bee guards...they do not work. I have one Oriole feeder. The bees also love this feeder...they fall in the holes, float to the top and die. How do we get rid of honey bees from out feeders.

Read More Answers...

I need to know how to keep bees away from my hummingbird feeders. I have two hanging in my yard and the bees just all of a sudden showed up one day a couple of weeks ago and now the poor hummers can't get a drink in edge wise. I have to hose them down just to be able to get the feeders down to refill them.

They have even found a way to get inside the feeders, then they float to the top and paddle around until they die or until I open it to refill it, then they are in my kitchen and I have to battle them with the fly swatter! I have already been stung twice and I really enjoy watching the hummers and would hate to have to take down the feeders.

By tntme from Long Beach, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks I will have to check into it but I'm in a very rural area and I think they are just wild bees. But you are probably right about getting a new feeder.

Read More Answers...

I have been using vegetable oil around the holes to keep bees off. It really works! It is very sticky when cleaning though. Has anyone else tried this?

By Mainehummerluver from Bridgton, ME

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you get feeders where the feeder part is deep and the sugar water is not to close the bees will not be interested in the feeder. the color of the flower part has nothing to do with it, the bees smell the sugar. if they cant get to it they wont come back. the oil is not good overall to the bees but not good for the hummingbirds either.its not going to kill them but this will help keep down any uneccessary things to our critters to help keep them healthy! but the yes the oil does help on our two fancy favorite feeders (we have since put up)but the others we make sure the the feeder part is deep. hope this helps when you buy feeders in the future.

This is a guide about using hummingbird feeders. Making sure your feeders are free of insects and clean are important for the hummingbirds.

Hummingbird Feeder

How can I get rid of honey bees at humming bird feeders? The bees chase the hummers away. They completely cover the feeders.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Debbie from MO

Keeping Bees Away from a Hummingbird Feeder

Smoke keeps bees away. (03/14/2010)

By Dorty

I always make sure that there's no nectar on the outside before hanging and, last summer, I got one of those "bee catchers" and put it near the feeder, so the bees go for that and leave the feeder for the "hummers". I'm sure someone on this site has instructions to make your own, to save $$$, too! (03/19/2010)

By mom of towers

Please learn the difference between a bee and a wasp! You do NOT want to kill bees and a plastic bottle trap that you hang from a tree will kill both.

ebeehoney.com

"Wasps are thinner, can be aggressive, and interested in food and garbage. Bees are generally plumper, mild mannered and interested in flowers, not your lunch or garbage can." (04/10/2010)

By HeatherM

RE: Keeping Bees Away from a Hummingbird Feeder

I have just tried this method of keeping honey bees away from my hummingbird feeders and it seems to be working very well. At least there is no swarm of bees. Put vegetable oil on the spout and on the flower where the hummingbirds drink. I just smeared it on with my fingers. Now my hummingbirds can drink in peace, so far! I think I will apply the oil to the entire base of the feeder to totally get rid of the bees! Thank goodness. I have spent a whole day trying different things and this works. (07/07/2010)

By righteousrose

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for a solution to keep bees and yellow jackets away from my Humming Bird feeders. I had a Thrifty tip about a brown paper bag, but lost it. Please help. Thanks.

By Bevvie from Placerville, Ca

I had the same problem as most of you, so my husband went to the local hardware store and got Sterling RESCUE yellow jacket trap for about $13.00. Boy does it ever work. In one day we caught a bunch of them. The Hummingbirds are now happy. (08/12/2009)

By Bevvie

Keeping bees away from your hummingbird feeder is actually a very easy fix and you don't need to use dangerous oils. True hummingbird feeders have holes in the flowers too small for the bees to get the nectar. I have one that was also for larger birds as well, but the feeding holes were large enough for the bees to crawl into so I had to cover the holes with sticky back covering and make my own smaller holes in the center of the covering so that the bees cannot fit into. I painted around the covering with yellow acrylic paint so it still looks like a flower. Works great and no more bees. Hummingbirds are all happy. (08/20/2009)

By RoxyCares

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have hummingbird feeders and the honey bees and bumble bees are taking it over. The hummingbirds cannot feed. Please tell me how to get rid of the bees.

By leveta from TN

Don't fill your feeder much. I change my nectar once every day or two. I only put the nectar in so that there is a couple of inches above the bottom of the bottle, where the feeding tray is. They always have nice, fresh nectar and it's not sitting there to get buggy. (07/13/2009)

By kathyj311

I've got one better; I've got a woodpecker that's visiting my feeder. I have one of those bee/wasp catchers near my feeder and the bees go for that. (07/14/2009)

By mom of towers

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have hummingbird feeders and its horrible to see the little hummingbirds trying to eat at the feeders with all the bees. No matter how many feeders I put out the bees are all over the feeders.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
    CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlNovember 30, 2015
    A glass hummingbird feeder.
    Making a Hummingbird Feeder
    HummingbirdFeeder
    Protecting a Hummingbird Feeder from Rain
    Hummingbird perched on a feeder.
    Keeping Ants Out of the Hummingbird Feeder
    Hummingbird Feeder
    Cleaning a Hummingbird Feeder
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 10:02:32 PM on 10.0.0.37 in 650 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.