SaucesCopycat

Christie's Restaurant Remoulade Sauce Recipe

Category Sauces

When I lived in San Antonio, Texas, I used to eat at Christie's Restaurant and loved the Remoulade Sauce they served. Would anyone happen to have their recipe?

myc2000 from Missouri

I would call them up, tell them what you just said, and ask if they would be so kind as to give you the recipe.

O.

Are you talking about the light orange sauce that they put on a large wedge of lettuce when you first got there? JK

I am trying to get the recipe for Christies salad dressing on wedge of lettuce.

i am looking for the same recipie, i hope someone knows it, wasn't it slightly pink like thousand island but not sweet, maybe mayonaise based

they are now out of business so you can't all them and yes it was the one on a wedge of lettuce

Well, I see this request was posted a couple of months ago. However, here is a site that perhaps gives that recipe. http://www.texa  =4891&t=4891 Otherwise, just key in "Remoulade Sauce Recipe" in your search engine and a lot of recipes come up....keep trying until you find one that tastes the same.

My grandfather was the original owner of Christie's in San Antonio. I think my dad (Johnny Lampis)might have the recipe. If he does I will post it on the web for all to copy!

I would be ever so grateful to have a copy of this recipe. My family and I used to go there every Friday for fried shrimp and their lettuce wedge salad with that fabulous dressing. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Is your Dad Sam or Brian....?

May I please have the recipe for the remoulade and house dressing if diffent ? Miss Strieter; your father along with Johnny Thornton was one of my husbands idols when he was a junior golfer. We and several of our friends would love to have the recipe.

San Antonio, Texas, I used to eat at Christie's Restaurant and loved the Remoulade Sauce they served. Would anyone happen to have their recipe?thanks

The Express & News (San Antonio's paper) published it a while back; but I can't find it now. I Should have cut out the article. They also had the tartar sauce recipe.

The large order of jumbo fried shrimp or the Fisherman's platter; nothing now comes close.

I don't know if this is the sauce, but up in Dallas in the 50's and early 60's there was a fish market called Gulf Coast Fish Market. They bottled a homemade sauce. It had a slight pink color. My husband and I found an old jar in the garage and you can still see the ingredients on the label.

Most receipes start with the highest ingredient first and so on.

Ingredients: mayonaise, eggs, horse radish, paprika, creole mustard, vinegar, parsely, worschestishire and spices. I figured the receipe by compareing the ingredients to other receipes.

Mine is: 2C Helman's mayonaise

2 hard cooked eggs, sieved threw a

fine strainer

1 tsp horseradish

1 tsp Paprika

2 tsp Creole mustard

1/2-1 tsp vinegar

1/2-1 tsp Parsely

1/2 tsp worsteshire sauce

1/2-1 tsp sugar

This is my own receipe and I think it is pretty close. Good Luck.

07-30-2008 Any update on recipe for Christie's Restaurant remoulade sauce? Along with the others, would LOVE to have it!

AbelC

Harlingen, Texas

Their remoulade sauce/house dressing is actually a mild thousand island type recipe. See below:

Christie's restaurant was a beloved eatery in San Antonio for over 50 years before closing in the 90's. From the San Antonio Express News. Please read the recipe several times before attempting as the article said this was a demanding recipe and take care to add the oil one tablespoon at a time. Chilling time not included in preparation time.

4 1/2 cups

Ingredients

1/2 cup celery, finely chopped

2 tablespoons green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped

1/4 cup carrot, peeled and finely chopped

1/4 cup onion, peeled and finely chopped

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 tablespoons dry mustard

2 tablespoons dry pectin (Sure Jel)

1 teaspoon lemon peel (Spice Islands works well)

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon meringue powder (Wilton brand is available at stores that sell cake-decorating items)

1 tablespoon paprika

1/2 cup crushed ice

4 large eggs

2 cups soya oil (use regular salad oil if you can't find soybean)

Directions

1) Using food processor blender, finely chop celery, green pepper, carrot and onion until almost grated; set aside.

2) Combine salt, mustard, Sure Jel, lemon peel, cornstarch, meringue powder and paprika in small mixing bowl; set aside.

3) Place ice in large mixer bowl; add dry spice mixture along with eggs, mixing at high speed.

4) When thoroughly mixed and ice has melted, slowly add soybean oil 1 tablespoon at a time while mixing at high speed.

5) Mix until thick (this will take about 40 minutes).

6) Add chopped vegetables and mix about 1-2 minutes until blended.

7) Chill in covered container several hours before serving.

I made this recipe! The taste is DEFINITLY the same (wonderful) but it turned out a bit thinner than I remembered the restaurants being. I checked each ingredient and measured very carefully. Next time I will double the cornstarch, & pectin and check the moisture in veges and pat dry. I may also add a 5th egg. Do not be in a hurry, it is a marathon not a sprint. Any suggestions for thinness are welcome. Enjoy!

My uncle was the owner and head chef of Christie's restaurant there in San Antonio and I spent many a summer growing up learning how to cook back in the kitchen. Thank you so much for sharing this, I live in California.

I worked at Christi's in the late 60s, early 70s. I was a hostess and was working there when Viva Max was being filmed. Henry Morgan ate there many times along with many of the crew. Johnny had arranged a special time for them to come in and not be hassled by reporters. It was such a special place to work.

My memories of the staff, the recipes, and of course, the golfing buddies of Johnny Lampis are so precious. The lines would wind around the building from both front and back. I too would like some of the recipes. Not only the Remmoulade but the batter recipe for the Fried Shrimp. I have never tasted anything like it in all these years.

I would love to know how to make the Romalaude sauce (white) for the shrimp. Eaten at Westheimer for years and buy a pint of sauce to take home. I have tried to replicate, just not right. Sad to hear Mr Chrisie passed. I live 50 miles away, appreciate it. Thank you

Does anyone have the recipe for the HOUSTON Christie's Restaurant Remoulade sauce? I would sure like to have it. It's really good!

When as a child we would travel to San Antonio to get our school clothes and eat @ Christie's the highlight of the trip. I would order the fried shrimp and the wedge with the remoulade. I have made sure both of my children have eaten there and was planning to take my grandchildren. I was heartbroken to hear Christie's is no longer there. All special events ended at Christie's. My mouth still waters just thinking of the food. So sad.

I think I've got it! This is for the white remoulade sauce served with the fried shrimp. I do not have exact measurements. the ingredients are mayo, creole mustard, minced garlic, horseradish and a couple of drops of lemon juice. I just did a test amount. I used a tablespoon of mayo, and about 1/4 tsp or creole mustard. A dab of horseradish, a dab of minced garlic and a couple of drops of lemon juice and this is almost identical. Of course you would have to increase the amounts.

Thank you going to try!

This question for above poster " Terri B. or anyone who can help. I believe my grandmother Valentine Booth aka " Lola Bishop" was an employee at Christies in San Antonio before they closed. She passed away in 2001 and I am looking for any info and or a picture of her for my father. He was adopted as a child and we are trying to locate info on any of his blood relatives. His name at the time of his adoption was Alexander Russell Booth. We have found his dad but nothing much on his mother and nothing on his sister "Elizabeth Booth". Any help would be appreciated thank you.

This question is for Terri B. or anyone who could help. I am looking for any info or a photo of an old employee of Christies on Broadway in San Antonio. I am the grandson of Valentine Booth AKA " Lola Bishop" who may have worked there and past away in 2001. Any help appreciated. Patrick (409) 658-6399