Paint Color Advice

I need help with what colour to paint my walls and what accent to use. I recently bought a rust coloured couch with a chocolate brown piping and two mahogany chairs, one is rust/brick red and the other is chocolate brown.

My walls are light blue with a capri blue top skirting. I would like to hear your views on which colour I should paint the walls with an accent wall in a different tone. And what colour rug and pillows should I get? I want the living room to look soft and relaxing. Thank you.

By Medlin from Kenya, Nairobi

I think a good way to start is to buy some multicolored pillows or a rug and pull the colors out of them to help you decide on wall color. For instance, an off white pillow with brown, green, etc. stripes would add a burst of color and give you an idea for wall color and accessories to match the pillows. I think a light brown, tannish wall color would be nice to work with. Good luck.

I would paint the walls a nice deep cream color (that has a yellow undertone). Then paint an accent wall the same color as the piping on the sofas. Now you can experiment with with throw pillows, lamps, etc. to find an other accent (smaller) colors you like.

July 16, 2010 Flag

I have just redone one of my bathrooms. The colors are gray, white, and black marble with satin nickel finishes. What color can I paint? I was thinking mauve. Do you agree?

By Dee from North Jersey

Answers:

Paint Color Advice

Any color would go with grey, black, and white. Mauve would give a very sophisticated look. (02/22/2010)

By perfume and powder

Paint Color Advice

I agree that most any color will work with what you have. Keep in mind that mauve is a very dated color. Finding accessories (like bath towels, shower curtain, etc.) to match will be very difficult to coordinate.

If you are wanting fresh color and updated a good choice would be soft shades of blue, pink, lavender, green, yellow, or even a citrus yet muted orange .

Mauve is a muddy (tan) pink and is kind of a downer of a pink. Paired with black and gray, colors that don't have brown tones, to play off the gray and the brushed nickel is going to be the direction I would go with. (02/22/2010)

By COflower

Paint Color Advice

If there's not too much painted area, how about a hot, vivid red?

Marg from England. (02/25/2010)

By jehosophat jones

Paint Color Advice

Oh honey, nothing goes with the first poster and these colors like red! Here is a shot of my bathroom for your consideration. (02/26/2010)

By Poor But Proud

RE: Paint Color Advice

Paint Color Advice

Mauve is so out! How about a nice earthy or bright green? Add some plants, too. (02/27/2010)

By ahastings7878

February 22, 2010 Flag

I have dark gray carpet and modern laminate (gray/white/flecks of black) (looks like granite) bedroom furniture. I've had a very light blush paint for the first three years, currently satin white for 15 years. Can someone tell me what other colors I could use without making the room appear too small?

By Mara from Willow Grove, PA

Answers:

Paint Color Advice

Hi Mara. You have a lot of choices. Just a few ideas that come to mind:

If you like bright colors you could paint the wall behind the headboard a warm, deep red and the other walls a very soft gray. Just add some red accents to the room; think about: throw pillows, small rug, lamp shade or red accent on the walls etc.

A very soft chartreuse is another route, you could consider. Warm soft yellow could work too. Accent pieces in dark gray. Ever considered soft mauve? You could complement that with purplish colors.

Good luck with your project! (10/17/2009)

By Roxanne.sable

Paint Color Advice

Light shades of color make rooms appear larger. If you have a lot of natural lighting, dark colors look good. I am thinking a soft blue would go well with your gray shades if you don't like colors that 'shout' at you in the bedroom. You can add a bright splash of color with a silver vase of flowers, wall picture or decorative mirror frame. Have fun, whatever you choose! (10/18/2009)

By Lorelei

October 17, 2009 Flag

Paint Color Advice

I need ideas for painting. Any suggestions would be appreciated very much.

By kenocyndy from FL

Answers:

Paint Color Advice

I went to a store that sells Pittsburgh paints and found a folder there with colors that match and blend well. I choose a pale sage green, because I was only going to paint a couple of walls (ceilings too high for me to tackle) and left the others the original color. You could try looking at something like that in any paint store or paint department of Home Depot or Lowe's.

Since your area is open and each room is going to show from the last one the colors all need to blend and match. I favor light colors, because I happen to like lots of light and light colors make things look bigger. (05/07/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Paint Color Advice

With the brown cupboards, a soft blue would be perfect. Good luck. (05/14/2009)

By Poor But Proud

Paint Color Advice

My first choice would be a shade of tan or beige that "goes with" the flooring and kitchen cabinets. Hold some paint swatches next to the floor and the cabinets and you will know which to use. I would not use a dark shade. Choose one shade lighter than the one you think is best. (Go up one on the paint strip.) Paint looks darker on the wall than it does on the paint strip.

To me, your rooms look dark. Bright light it streaming through the window, but it has little effect on the inside. Try to make your rooms lighter and more cheerful.

Good luck (05/15/2009)

By Carol in PA

Paint Color Advice

My kitchen is yellow because I like the brightness of it. Borders line the top of the walls with a garden/food design on it. How about putting plants like herbs on the window with a half curtain and putting what ever you like on the walls to go with your theme. Try something like apples, roasters, mine is food. Good luck and enjoy what you like. (05/15/2009)

By dietvanilla

March 23, 2009 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

March 17, 2009 Flag

February 4, 2009 Flag

October 2, 2008 Flag

April 7, 2008 Flag

September 24, 2006 Flag
Nicely decorated living room.
Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJuly 16, 2010
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
dining room
Dining Room Paint Color Advice
Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice
Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice
🎉
🎄