Lime Deposits in a Teakettle

Remove lime deposits from your teakettle by filling the kettle with equal parts vinegar and water. Then bring the water to a boil and let it sit over night.

As a youngster growing up on the Canadian praries, lime deposits were a real problem in the kettle that sat on the stove all the time (not electric). After cleaning - either with vinegar or just chipping it away- my Mother kept a marble (one of us kids ones) in the kettle at all times and as it boiled, it helped to keep the deposits down.

A good way to use up leftover bottled lemon juice that has gone stale is to pour it in the tea kettle, let sit overnight and rinse.

We have very hard water in our area, too. About every 2 weeks I fill my teakettle with white vinegar, heat it up, then let it sit all afternoon.

I then pour the vinegar back into it's bottle and use one of those sponges with the green stuff on the back to scrub out whatever lime deposits are left.

Yes, you can re-use the vinegar many, many times! Just be sure to label the bottle "for teakettle cleaning" as there may be some lime particles left in it when you pour it back.

I use a large "Listerine" bottle as it holds exactly as much as needed for my teakettle.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesJune 8, 2006
Slice of Key Lime Pie on Blue Plate with Fork
Key Lime Pie Recipes
Using Lime Leaves
Using Lime Leaves
Shiney faucets and clean tub.
Cleaning Lime Stains from a Bathtub
🎉
🎄