Throwing a Princess Theme Party

I am planning a 4 yr old birthday party for a girl; the theme is princess. Any ideas?

By Niecy from Chicago, IL

Best Answer

Having a 4 year old grand-daughter whose whole world is "Princess", pink and purple are the color choices to use. If she has a lot of dress-up dresses, you can have the girls dress up in those. Making the felt crowns with felt jewels is an easy and inexpensive craft/party favor idea. Jewelry can be made out of Fruit Loops/Life Savers and ribbon. Make your own "Pin the crown (or wand) on the Princess" game. I hope some of these ideas help you and your daughter!

Best Answer

Are you having some other little girls as guests? Have them dress in their finest gowns, and when they arrive they could all get tiny crowns. I think you can get little tiaras at the dollar store, boas maybe, lovely "jewel" necklaces. Maybe they do a craft and make a treasure chest with silver and gold stickers and stick on jewels or make themselves lovely jewel necklaces with shiny plastic beads. The birthday girl could have a lovely "velvet" cape to make her a little special. Check out thrift stores for something that might work or even a Halloween costume.

I think princesses would like to have a special lunch with tiny sandwiches (even if they are peanut butter and jelly) cut into fancy shapes like squares, diamonds, etc. I think princesses like strawberries dipped in chocolate! And serve their juice in wine goblets with little swords with a cherry on it, or little umbrellas.

I used to decorate for parties with used wedding decorations, bells, doves, streamers. You might find something like this in a thrift store. Definitely you would want pink and purple streamers if you could get them.

Using inexpensive feather boas as decorations would be super cute! Also rhinestones on the cake, laid on the table (sort of like confetti), or even little bowls of them everywhere would fit the theme. Also, I believe you can find chandelier wall stickies at www.houseof3.com. A wand with a thank you note attached with cute ribbon would be sweet in lieu of treat bags.

Does Burger King still have those paper crowns for kids? I used one for "King Herod" one Christmas pageant and spray painted it and used plastic rhinestones, because those are adjustable and paper and very little investment and BK loves the promotion! Pink lemonade, pink cupcakes, teeny-tiny sandwiches. What time should I be there?

My daughter is turning 2 in august and loves many characters on TV. So I really don't have any specific character theme for the party. I thought maybe a Princess theme because she always loves to dress up and have a purse. Any ideas would be nice.

Clari from Laredo, TX

Answers:

Throwing a Princess Theme Party

For table decoration it would be cute to use dressy purses as your food containers, to serve like wrapped candies or even pretzels. You can line the purse first with a large opened Ziplock bag or line with colorful napkins. (06/29/2008)

By theseamstress

Throwing a Princess Theme Party

Check out your dollar store, ours sells feather boas, crowns, sparkly purses, wands, fancy slippers, bracelets, and necklaces, and kids make-up, really cheaply. Get a couple of Rubbermaid bins from Walmart, fill them with "princess clothes", brightly coloured dresses from a thrift shop and your dollar store purchases and have a fashion show.

Most people have digital cameras. Ask someone to bring theirs, if you don't have one, take lots of "poses" of the "fashion models", print some up on your computer, or at Walmart, cheap, and send the "portraits" to the guests with a thank you note for the gifts they bring for the birthday girl. I did this for my granddaughter one year. It was a huge success and they still play dress up with all the cool stuff in the "princess trunks". Every time I go to the dollar store I top up the "trunks" with a few items. My granddaughter loves bringing her friends to grandma's house. (06/30/2008)

By catastrofy

I'm looking into having a princess theme party for my soon to be 1 year old. I would like some cheap ideas for invites and decorations. I don't want to spend a lot of money but would like to make it special.

Thank you,
Carla from IL

Answers:

Throwing a Princess Theme Party

This is the cake from my nieces first bday. She had a princess party. The accessories on the cake are really cheap, like a couple of dollars. My sister in law didnt go really overboard with the theme since she is so young, but the cake was princess, some of the gifts and the paper. The invites were princess and napkins and stuff. You can get this stuff fairly cheap since its so popular right now. (05/15/2006)

By micksgirl

RE: Throwing a Princess Theme Party

Throwing a Princess Theme Party

I saw a 30 pk of 'decorate your own' small foam crowns at Walmart today in the craft section. It was just a few dollars on clearance and would be fun both as an invitation to send and then decorate some at the party and personalize for each guest. (05/15/2006)

By M. Boyer

Throwing a Princess Theme Party

At Wal-Mart I found a light-up princess crown and wand for my daughter for 98 cents each! The batteries are nonreplaceable, but they last for so long, and hey, for 98 cents who cares! (08/28/2006)

By BrookesMommy

Throwing a Princess Theme Party

My daughter, Jasmine, is turning 3 and she wants a princess party. Her older brother (6) wants to celebrate with her so I combined the party into a princess/ knights party. The girls get tiaras and the boys get swords when they arrive at the party.

For favors I got goblets from birthday express. The girls' are pink (say "princess") the boys' are red and gold.Filling the girls with kisses and the boys with gold chocolate coins.

For games: I this idea from another site (can't remember which one) Musical magic carpets with Jasmine ( just like musical chairs).

Treasure hunt: Use cornmeal or sand and hide gems (from the $ store or craft store) inside the sand. Have the kids dig and find the hidden treasure. Could even hide 1 special item and finder gets a special prize.

I had Costco decorate a cake with flowers and added Disney Princesses - 3-D puzzles (from Disney store on clearence).

Cracker and cheese tray - cheese cut in star shapes (09/05/2006)

By Danielle

Throwing a Princess Theme Party

Try getting different colored card and making cones out of them, staple some elastic for secuirty under the chin, and get different colored chiffon ribbons to drape from the top (thread through the top of the cone and knot to secure it), mark bits of the cone with glue and sprinkle some different colored stardust/sparkles/glitter over it to make a princess hat.

You could also try making 'candy' braclets and necklaces out of candy or lifesavers threaded onto some string, then the kids can eat as they play. (03/27/2007)

By halobaby

Throwing a Princess Theme Party

WALMART has crown themed foam picture frame kit including some decorations for $5 (30 frames, I think), my daughter's 2nd birthday is this month and we are buying a Princess Party Photo Door Banner Each $7.95 (not including shipping) from Oriental trading company and taking each kids picture at a princess and then they will have their custom picture frame to put it in, I may send them out with Thank you cards or have my husband run up to the pharmacy to print them out after everyone has arrived
(01/15/2008)

By jESSICA bLACK

Throwing a Princess Theme Party

I am doing my daughters this weekend. I went to Big Lots and found foam. Make your own princess wands (makes 24 for 4 dollars), and they are great. Also went to the dollar store and found the crowns. In the wedding area at the $ store, I found small white cardboard bags. I just made homemade cookies and I am going to put different ones in the bags for guest to take home after the party. (05/02/2008)

By maria

Throwing a Princess Theme Party

What I am doing is good for all ages. I am buying fruit loops and cheerios and anything that I can put a string through and I bought clear craft plastic cord and I am putting different bowls of cereal and letting the kids make their own necklaces and bracelets. (05/02/2008)

By Maria

My niece is turning 5 and we are doing a Princess theme Birthday Party. What kind of games and craft ideas could we do? Some of the kids may be a little younger than 5.

Donna J.

Answers:
Let Them Make Crowns 02/14/2005
Cut out crowns and let them decorate, let them make paper chain necklaces. I think you could change any of the standard games, pin the crown on the princess, etc
By karen. (Guest Post)
Candy Necklaces 02/15/2005
You could also buy the kits for making candy necklaces and bracelets. They sale them at www.orientaltrading.com

I agree with the person above about using a cut out of the crown and letting the girls pin the jewel on the crown. You can make the jewels out of painted card stock/card board with double sided tape added to the back.

By Michele (Guest Post)
Princess Freeze Dance 02/27/2005
Do a freeze dance. Pick out some Disney princess music or other and have them dance around. Stop the music and say freeze and whoever doesn't freeze is out and give the winner a prize.
By Alexa (Guest Post)
Have Them Dress Like Princesses 03/25/2005
Have them all come dressed like their favorite princess and when they walk in have the birthday girl give them a crown. For games let their imaginations soar. Go to the dollar star or a cheap outlet and but some fake jewelry and some lip gloss, nail polish, blush and let make themselves up and who is the best princess but of course let them all win and give then a little prize.

If it is a sleep over get all of the princess movies and watch those. For the cake get a cake with all the princesses. Or if you make your own make a simple sheet cake frost it and get another fake crown and other jewelry and put those on it. for favors candy maybe a key chain with some kind of princess on it you could also take a picture of the group after the game and then have some one take it down to a Walgreen's or Wal-mart and get them developed in an hour or if you had a digital camera and a good printer you could print them at home hope i have helped you a little.

By sassykass
Princess Party Plann 06/10/2005
Although your particular party may have already taken place, I wanted to share what I did for my daughter's 6th birthday. It was a princess theme and we had many different ages attend the party. For younger kids, you try to think of crafts and games. Honestly, we never even had time for those. Her party was held in a clubhouse where we live, so we were limited on space and freedom.

My husband and 1 built a 4-room cardboard castle. It was quite spectacular. It had towers with different princess-related ideas - a clock, bells, Rapunzels hair, etc. We had a drawbridge with construction paper chains, we painted people, gardens, fairies (Sleeping Beauty) etc. If you ever need to know exactly how we did it and made it last with kids running all around, please email me at jayhintz at verizon dot net. It turned out to be quite impressive. We painted a dragon on one wall of the castle and played "pin the knight in the dragon's tummy". That was the only game we had time to play.

I decorated everything with pink, silver, and dark purple. Hung silhouettes of knights armored head and crowns on the windows. Had swans and glass slippers filled with M&Ms (colors: pink, gray and dark. purple of course). I found those in the wedding section of the party store. And all food was on silver trays I bought from the dollar store.

I also bought swords and wands from the dollar store. It turned out to be a better party than I ever imagined. My daughter wants to have another princess party in a couple of years, as long as we make another castle.

By Leah (Guest Post)