Mashed Potato Salad Recipe

Recently while I was at a party, I had mashed potato salad. It was delicious. The potatoes weren't completely mashed, but had chunky pieces in it. There were diced onions, red bell peppers, and hard boiled eggs in the salad. Those are the only ingredients that I recognized.

I don't think it had mayonnaise in it, but I'm not sure. The potato salad looked plain except for the red pepper, but it was so good. It was not store bought, but homemade.

I asked for the recipe but the person who made it didn't seem like she wanted to share it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I would appreciate it if someone would share this recipe. Thank you.

By mkymlp from PA

Top Comment

Growing up, my Mom always made mashed potato salad and it does have mayonnaise in it. It's actually pretty much the same as chunk potato salad but using cold mashed potatoes. We always put diced pickles (your choice of sweet or dill or both), chopped onion, pieces of pimento and sliced olives if you like....oh yes and a little mustard mixed in with the mayo....stir, chill and serve.

Top Comment

Mashed Potato Salad

45 min | 15 min prep

Serves 8

* 5 medium potatoes

* 1/2 cup sweet relish

* 1 tablespoon vinegar

* 2 tablespoons sugar

* 1 cup Miracle Whip

* 1 small onion, chopped

* 1/2 cup celery, chopped

* salt and pepper

* 5 hard-boiled eggs, chopped

1. Peel cut and cook potatoes as for mashed potatoes.

2. When done drain well, mash.

3. Add relish, chopped onion, celery, salt and pepper.

4. In small bowl mix vinegar and sugar, mix until sugar is dissolved, add Miracle whip and mix well.

5. Pour into mashed potatoes, mix throughly If the potatoes seem too dry add more Miracle whip.

6. Fold in eggs.

7. Refrigerate overnight.

Top Comment

In stead of Mayo I use fresh made Original Ranch Dressing it is lighter but tastes so good

Potato salad is Good anyway you want to make it.

Grated or Mashed Or the chunk style

It is what is add to the Potatoes that count.

Mashed Potato Salad Recipe

By Nolnie (1)

Mashed Potato Salad

45 min | 15 min prep

Serves 8

* 5 medium potatoes

* 1/2 cup sweet relish

* 1 tablespoon vinegar (I use lemon Juice)

* 2 tablespoons sugar

* 1 cup Miracle Whip ( Ranch Dressing)

* 1 small onion, chopped

* 1/2 cup celery, chopped

* salt and pepper

* 5 hard-boiled eggs, chopped

Sounds like my potato salad, but I never named it mashed potato salad. I use mashed potato's fresh cooked with no ingredients normally used for mashed potatos, then I add chopped onion, diced dill pickles, chopped celery, chopped boiled eggs, mustard mayo blend. dash of pickle juice, and celery salt. I get lots of praises.

My husband & I love this potato salad. It's great cold on a sandwich with a slice of ham! I discovered a new addition to use instead of mayonnaise; Creamy spinach dip! the kind in a jar that is normally used for potato chips. Taste great!

Hi,

We make our potato salad from mashed potatoes. We don't use the bell peppers but I am sure they can be added. We use Mashed potatoes, Miracle Whip, sweet pickles cut into chunks and some of the juice to taste, prepared mustard and chopped red onion and boiled eggs chopped. The Mashed potatoes are seasoned with milnot, margarine, and salt before we ever start. The portions of each item that go in are just to your taste.

<b>Editor's Note:</b> Milnot is canned evaporated milk.

My family is from the South and this was the only way I ever had potato salad, until I was married. I still make mashed potato salad. My hubby loves it. Fresh boiled & mashed till chunkey potatoes.

diced celery

diced sweet and dill pickles

diced onion

diced boiled eggs

Dressing

Mayo or salad dressing

sweet pickle juice

little vinegar

sugar-salt-pepper

Mix with a whisk. if its too thin add more mayo or salad dressing I don't know amounts. Its all according to taste. That's how my mom did it so its all I know. Pour over top of other things and stir to cover.

I see there were many response to your question on the mashed potato salad. My brother makes it all the time. It's just like regular potato salad only he mashes the potatoes first. So just do it the way you would your regular potato salad. Even though it's the same as the regular potato salad it's always a hit at our get-togethers when he makes it. Hope you got some great idea.

Mashed Potato salad in a white bowl with blue rim.
Mashed Potato Salad
Food and Recipes Recipes Salads PotatoMay 28, 2009
Mashed potatoes with vegetables.
Vegetable Mashed Potato Recipes
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes with bacon and cheese.
Twice Baked Mashed Potato Recipes
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
🎉
🎄