Getting Rid of Armadillos

How can I get rid of armadillos? They are ruining my gardens. I planted a beautiful area around our above ground pool and they eat everything while we sleep.

By Amazingdoc from FL

Best Answer

My only answer is to get a very large dog that will chase them away! My yard was being totally destroyed by them and I couldn't stop them even by shooting at them! When I got a large dog (actually two large dogs), then I stopped seeing any armadillos! Good luck!

Best Answer

The dog idea works great. I have a new dog, a new stray actually, that not only got rid of the armadillos but also the moles, squirrels and rabbits and doing a supper job on the mice as well. The cod liver oil mixed with unscented plain kitty litter with a good dose of red pepper was a short term fix.

You may want to make sure it is armadillos because possums, deer and rabbits will eat most any plants but armadillos will only dig looking for grubs and worms leaving a path of destruction with lots of holes, and your plants uprooted and scattered everywhere. If it is possums, deer or rabbits sprinkling black or red pepper on and around your plants will make them leave faster than you can say achoo! Remember to reapply after it rains.

I have two problems, armadillos and Japanese beetles. I know the armadillos love the beetle grubs but how do I get rid of both of them without using poison?

Viki from Abbeville, AL

Answers:

Getting Rid of Armadillos

If you have a fenced in yard fix it so they can not get in, we had to put blocks around our fence so they could not dig under it, good luck. (03/16/2009)

By kffrmw88

Getting Rid of Japanese Beetles

We had a great "crop" of Japanese Beetles one year that almost wiped out all our little saplings. We purchased traps from a hardware store that give off an odor. The bugs fly near and fall into green bags that hang below the odor producing cardboard. Extremely effective! We tossed out pounds and pounds of beetles in bags for weeks. Our trees were spared! (03/18/2009)

By mizzoumom

How do you get rid of an armadillo?

Meg from Thomasville, GA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Armadillos

My dad told me to use cayenne pepper and it worked! I buy a huge (restaurant size) container of it for less than $3.00 and I sprinkle it around my plants and places I can see where they have been digging. Did this three weeks ago and no more armadillos! (05/28/2006)

By call4cathy