Old T-Shirts As Swiffer Replacement

I love using a dry Swiffer but don't like purchasing the paper bottoms to put on them as they are quite expensive and once used they are discarded. I save my hubbies old t-shirts and cut them into the size that will fit the bottom of the Swiffer. After using them, I shake the dust into a plastic bag, discard it and then wash the squares and reuse them. No cost to me and they work just as well.

This is a great idea! I love the swiffer products but they are expensive and wasteful. This is a great alternative to the paper refills. Now if I could just think of a way to replace the swiffer wetjet liquid refills and paper bottoms.....I love how convenient it is but using that is so wasteful compared to normal mopping.

Great Idea! I use swifter all the time and the replacement cloths do get expensive. Thanks for the frugal tip! From One Massachusetts lady to another. I'm from Norton, MA.

Hugs,

Jackie

Okay, another Massachusetts lady here: I used the Handi-Wipes when I ran out of Swiffer refills. When dirty, just wash in machine and use again.

Congratulations on an enviromentally friendly alternative. Swiffer "cloths" are not a "green" product!!!!

Another trick is to wrap a foot or leg of old pantyhose around the t-shirt piece. The pantyhose has great static and picks up hair and dust really well. You can also just use the pantyhose, but sometimes I like the extra thickness of the t-shirt.

Wash cloths work well, too. We built a new home a few years ago with "hardwood" floors that were not what we were told they would be. Every water spot showed. Using wet swiffers were breaking me up and left wet marks on the floors. After using a lot of products, I discovered using Bruce floor cleaner on a wash cloth with my swiffer solved the problem. At least until the next drip hit the floor!

I have used old dishcloths, which scrub even better! I put it on damp, spray cleaner on the cloth or area, and work with it. sometimes the washcloth falls off, but I use that for little areas (or move in one direction)

tthompson,

The Swiffer WetJet solution bottle has a twist-off cap -- its just 'locked' with little plastic tabs to prevent you from figuring this out. :) Just take a pair of vise-grips, pliers, etc. and unscrew the cap once, and the tabs will break/bend off, alliowing you to remove/replace the cap at will. Then, you can refill the bottle with your favorite cleaning solution (Murphy's, Vinegar, Windex, etc) mixed with hot water. Works much better than the stuff you buy & much cheaper too!

-Jeremy

Saving Money on Swiffer Pads and Mops, Linoleum Floor Being Mopped
Saving Money on Swiffer Pads and Mops
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning ToolsJuly 3, 2007
Floor being mopped with a Swiffer WetJet type modern mop
Swiffer Wet Jet Refill Recipes
An electrical cord plugged into an outlet.
Finding Replacement Cords for Electronics
young woman holding a Swiffer style mop
Making Replacement Pads for a Swiffer
Swiffer WetJet
Replacement Parts for a Swiffer WetJet
🎉
🎄