Browsing: Record Album Crafts

Make Planters With Old Record Albums

A pal had a bunch of plant clippings she was wanting to get rid of at a yard sale. With not having any excess planters, she made her own planters with record albums she no longer wanted or needed. She melted the albums into shapes of planters, with the center hole being the bottom drain hole. Clever idea! One idea I'd never thought of before!

Make Planters With Old Record Albums

By Terri H.

Editor's Note: Here is a link to a ThriftyFun craft project making a vinyl record bowl or planter.

Vinyl Record Bowl

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

To turn records into planters, cover an oven safe bowl, or flowerpot with foil. Place it on a cookie sheet upside down with a record on top. Oven at 250 degrees, record will soften and drape down over the bowl. Keep an eye on it.

Great idea but does it smell and smoke?

I read that you can melt them in the oven at 200 degrees if you place them on a bowl upside down. You probably would want to put a baking sheet under it that is lined with foil. Hope this helps.

To have a planter with scalloped edges leave the record out in the hot sun. I lost a lot of albums long ago by leaving them in a hot car, and didn't think to use them for this purpose.

We just made bowls out of record this Christmas. We used a 200 degree oven and placed a pyrex bowl inverted on top of a cookie sheet. watch carefully and when the record begins to droop, work quickly to get it into the shape you want. If you don't like the shape, remelt it! There was no smoke although it did smell a little funky (we kept the windows open.)

Put it in a warm oven (200 deg. should do it) for about 15 minutes. Or, just leave it in the back window of your car while you go shopping on a nice warm day.

I just made a planter, but did not look for directions first. duh. I put it on a bowl in the oven after I baked a cake, so it was 350 degrees. It melted really fast, just a few minutes, and actually started to bubble. Its very attractive, molded tightly to the bowl shape, but came off very easy. Very little smell even at the higher temp.

Hi there,

Just stand a terracotta pot upside down in the kitchen sink, place the 'vinyl' on the top and pour boiling water over it, you can then mould it into shape. It doesn't work with the really old albums, has to be vinyl

I tried it in a toaster oven, and it caught on fire, I have cleaned and gotten all of the black stuff out but I can't seem to get rid of the smell, I really cant afford to buy another one, anyone have any help?

I used a heat gun to melt a plastic soda bottle into the shape I needed. I think it would work on an LP

(the kind of heat gun used for embossing powder on home made cards, you can find them at a craft store)

Record Albums
Record Album Crafts
Home and Garden Gardening Creative PlantersDecember 29, 2004
Making a Vinyl Record Dessert Stand
Making a Vinyl Record Dessert Stand
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
Making a Recycled Vinyl Record Tablet Holder
Old Record Player
Uses for Old Record Players
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 8:18:13 AM on 10.0.2.185 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.