Destroy Sensitive Papers by Soaking Them

contest winner icon

Here's an idea if you have a large amount of paper that needs to be shredded and have a small shredder that can handle only so much or the motor gets hot if it runs too long. I used this method to destroy old checks when we changed addresses.

Fill a sink up with water and place all the papers in there then wait a few hours they will turn to mush Stir them around and squeeze them out with your hands, then place them into a plastic bag for the trash. Takes a lot less time then shredding.

By norulesart from Sunny Florida

Great idea!

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing!

This is just smart. Really smart. Thank you!

I've thought about that. I have a lot of shredding waiting for me, from moving, and getting rid of old papers. Great idea. Would the end product be any good mixed with mulch, does anyone know?

Do not send this to the trash. Put it into your garden or compost to return it to the earth, from whence it came.

And a way to make this go even further? With the 'slurry' you make with your soaked private papers. Use it to make new paper! All you need are screens to lay it out on. So if you can't throw it into a garden. Use it to make new paper! It's the epitome of renew, reuse & recycle!

Instead of throwing the soaked papers in the trash, put it in your compost bin if you have one. Shredded dry paper and soaked paper are both good compost additions

What a great idea! I usually rip it up in small pieces so this will be a lot easier. Thank you!

Shredded Privacy
Protecting Personal Information
Budget & Finance Identity TheftJune 24, 2010
Dealing With Sensitive Skin
Dealing With Sensitive Skin
A woman with sensitive teeth.
Remedies for Sensitive Teeth
Shredding Confidential Document
Disposing of Important Papers
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub