Feeding Birds without Feeding Pigeons

I love feeding the birds and squirrels but in doing so get tons of pigeons and they take over my bird feeders. How can I feed my birds but not welcome pigeons? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Noreen from Wyandotte, Mi

I know the difference between pidgeons and doves--I have them both and love the doves. I helped circulate petitions to help stop the doves from being hunted on our last election in Michigan and the doves won!

Pigeons need love too. If you still prefer to pigeon-hole certain bird types, perhaps you could post a sign that says "NO PIGEONS ALLOWED"? You could try writing it in pigeon-english.

What a bunch of pigeon/dove lovers here! Doesn't seem that anyone is interested in answering the question.

The bird store where I buy my seed told me to not to buy the seed with millet (the small round yellow seed) in it. It worked for me for a number of months. I just put my birdfeeder out a few days ago (being away all summer) and after two days the pigeons and doves are back.

I like pigeons just don't want them eating all the birdseed. They chase away the birds and I'll have a back yard full of pigeons. I used to get a varity of birds.

Pigeons are an absolute nuisance! I have doves, pigeons, native wild birds and squirrels. The pigeons eat all the food and poop everywhere. I am trying to find a way to feed the squirrels as I have squirrel proof bird feeders but still want to feed squirrels without pigeons eating everything.

not to mention the poooooooooooooooooo they leave EVERYWHERE they are a very dirty bird