Dog House Trained Except at Night

I have a house dog that is potty trained except of a nighttime. He won't wake me up during the night, he will just go to a bedroom at the back of my house and go. Is there a way to stop this?

I'm tired of cleaning up after him. He is not abused. I've had him since he was 4 weeks old. He is a cross between a Jack Russell terrier and a Rat terrier. He is now about 2 yrs old. Thanks in advance.

By Beverly from Havana, AR

Try crate-training him and keeping him in the crate overnight. Works for me!

Definitely crate train your dog. Dogs don't like to go to the bathroom where they sleep. Your dog might have 1-2 accidents when they are first trained (mine did) but its much easier to wash a crate and a towel than your carpet!. You should get a crate that's just big enough for your dog to lay down in. Put a blanket or towel in the crate and 1-2 of the dogs favorite toys. I also put a special treat in like a pig ear so my dog is used to their crate being a good place to go where they get special treats. Take your dog out to go potty right before you go to bed and put them in their crate. And take them out again immediately when you wake up. And you won't have anymore accidents. Canines are cave-dwellers by nature. In the wild they build dens or inhabit natural caves. Dogs actually do like crates! Its a comfort to them to have a designated and safe place to go sleep. Also I found a lot of great videos and articles on ehow.com on how to initially introduce your dog to the crate. Hope that helps!

How often does your dog go potty during the day? Every two, three, or four hours? Time when he needs to go out during the day and then get up and take him out at those times during the night.

He's likely going to have to urinate about 20 minutes after drinking; keep an eye on when he goes for the water and take him out based roughly on that timing.

As others have already said--a crate is a godsend. Just make sure you're up early in the morning to let him out, because while the crate is a great training tool, it can backfire on you if the dog views it as punishment--leaving him in there for very long periods of time can provoke that.

Also--if the indoor urination is a new behavior, it might be worth a trip to the vet to rule out a bladder infection.

March 8, 2012 Flag

My 3 year old Poodle who was well trained has started wetting in the house. She only does it at night. She goes out for a walk in a morning and last thing at night, but when we get up at 7:30 she has wet. Please help.

By Amanda

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When my well housebroke corgi started this we took him to the vet and found out he had a bladder infection. A round of antibiotics fixed him right up. Hope this helps.

I agree with Linda. Your dog needs to see a vet to check for a medical problem. Poor girl, she's probably mortified to be having these accidents.

I have taught all my dogs to tell me when they have to go out at night. If I had one that was healthy and he or she was peeing all the time, after the vet visit I would put up the water for during the night. I would make sure to put it down then next morning.

My dogs go out all the time, but I have a yard so that makes a difference.

You could put a wee wee pad down at night. They have them at the dollar isle at most stores.

January 4, 2013 Flag

I have a two year old Jack Russell terrier. He always has an accident during the night, he is fine during the day. He never soils inside during the day even if I was gone for a period of time.

By Linda

Can you adjust his feeding and watering schedule? There should be several posts on ThriftyFun dealing with this. I have never done it but I know it works well for others. Good luck.

Pets Dogs House TrainingJune 8, 2010
cute dog looking guilty
Dog Pees in House When Left Alone
Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
House Training an Adult Dog
House Training an Adult Dog
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🎄