If I wash dishes and pots with Clorox, does the glossy coating go away? Someone told me that using Clorox will make my dishes and pans dull. Is this true?
By George from Alameda, CA
I'm not sure what it will do to the finish of your dishes, but chlorine bleach is highly toxic. I wouldn't recommend using it for any household cleaning, but especially not for your dishes; you eat off of those!
Visit this site for more information and natural alternatives. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/chlorine-in-household-cleaners.html#
How much Clorox do you plan on using when washing your dishes & pots? I do use bleach sometimes when washing dishes, especially if I'm washing things that have touched raw poultry and meat. I've been doing this for 35 years and am still alive. To a sink half full of water just a very small amount of bleach is necessary-about 2 tablespoons. It does not dull the finish of anything. Just be sure to rinse well.
Not only will a little bleach not hurt your dishes, it will brighten them if they have been dulled by coffee, tea, tomato sauce,grape juice, and other staining foods and drinks. In addition, the number of colds passed from child to child will slow,your countertops will be a little more sanitary if you use the dishwater to wash them,then wipe again with water and dry,your sink will be being disinfected while the dishwater is in it and your drain will receive the benefit of having soapy bleach water poured down it. I've been doing it for almost 50 years with no harm to anyone or anything.
Bleach is caustic, in more ways than one, so I wouldn't do it because it most likely would erode the finish over time!
With much respect to other posters, I am asking what is more important? Shiny dishes, pots and pans or your health? Bleach is highly toxic :-( Oh, you might not see or feel any damage now but it will happen eventually :-( First hand experience speaking here from breathing it's fumes over nearly five decades for cleaning/sanitizing.)
Another poster recommended adding bleach to your dishwater :-o NO! If you read a bottle of dish soap cautions they all expressly say 'do not mix with bleach'! The reason they caution this is because the combination can create Mustard Gas :-o
If anyone is super duper worried about germs in their home on their dishes then wash them in soapy water that is 110 degrees and rinse well. If one still wants to use bleach as a sanitizer after that then fill well rinsed sink with hot water and add only 1/2 ounce of bleach to 2 gallons of water. Soak and rinse well again.
Most health depts. recommend a 1;10dilution for bleach to sterilize for germs, but that is if there is a contagious illness or for soup kitchens or group functions.
Why are you washing your dishes in bleach? if there is not a problem i would just use soap and water. if you feel you need a disinfectant, get a bucket sink or basin with water and add a table spoon of bleach.
wash dishes with soap and water, rinse, dip in bucket and rinse again.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!