Advice for My 16 Year Old Daughter's Party

My daughter will be 16 soon and she wants a boy/girl party for the first time. Any and all ideas are welcome. I haven't a clue what to do with them. She is inviting 9 people so including her there will be 10 teenagers in my small apartment. I told her the party can go from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Is that reasonable? Should it be shorter/longer?

Darlene from Mississauga, Ontario Canada

Sounds reasonable, what about a slumber party with the girls, send the guys home at 11:00 and have the girls stay. My daughter wanted a hippies theme, tie died cake, and, anything that we did in the sixties. Some of the styles are coming back and they could dress in that time period.

When my daughter turned 16, I made a huge turkey dinner & invited all her friends, male & female. They came between 5-6 & we ate at 6:00. We had music & let them dance, streamers & balloons all over. When they didn't want to dance, they just listened to music & chattered away. There were evening snacks & a (non-alcoholic of course) punch bowl always on the go. We kinda let them have that room to themselves, only walking through to offer goodies. For her gift, I got her a small diamond ring...just so she had her first diamond & wasn't too anxious to receive that second one:) She was totally thrilled. She opened her gifts during a music/dance break & we let them all roll till 12:00 PM. Her friends that had come a long way, stayed the night with sleeping bags. Those who lived close enough caught rides home with each other. We even delivered a couple of them back home ourselves so they were able to attend. Hope this helps! Patsy

'Sounds reasonable to me. At 16, they don't want to be 'entertained'. Food, nibbles, music, and an occasional appearance (perhaps masked by bringing food reinforcements) is all that's necessary. DO maintain a reasonable profile, and be close enough to hear a crasher, or a brewing argument.

If you don't know the guests well, when you circulate, you might want to check for any aroma of alcohol. You might end the evening by turning the lights low and announcing the "last dance", then, lights up all the way and unless the girls are staying for an overnight (good idea, btw) start clearing food trays. No food? No music? lol...they'll clear out fast enough.

Not sure where my previous reply went to..lol...but how about a 'Movie Night'. Suggest guests can bring a favourite movie/dvd or you can rent a few from the store (take requests). You can provide popcorn/snacks & soft drinks. My 16 year old son regularly meets mates at another friends house for 'movie-night' and they have a great time.

Have you tried one of those murder mystery parties good for small guy/girl groups they dress up food is part of the party many different themes to choose from luau, 50's, etc.

Music and food is what they will like. Put out bowls of chips, pretzels etc. and cans of soda. I'm guessing they will have dinner at home so you dont have to fuss with making anything.

well im turning 16 in about 6 days and i recon u could just get them to bring along music, set up sum chairs and coaches around the joint and really they will just do their own thing. some will dance, sum will talk n stuff, the preperation really isnt anything spesh. depending on how confident the kids are you could go for something lame like balloons and cake and dress up, but sum kids think they are to "cool" to do that kind of thing so just let your daughter decide. i say 11 is good-ish try for 12-1 and have the chicks sleep ova. and if they want grog just say that you spiked the punch without even actually doin it, with the yuppie drinks you can get they wouldnt even no if you did or didnt! haha hmm yer cant think of ne thing else, it aint so big just really bummin round

ok so i would just clear a room hire a dj and dance dance dance.!!!!!!!! Play fun but cool games maybe have a raffel thing. One game i thought was fun was you announce some objects and if sumone has tht object in their purse they win sumthin.also invite guys thts half the fun

I think that u guys should have a barBQ if she would like that b/c that would be fun and invite more people to have an outside theme and have it from 6 30 till 11 so that way she gets to enjoy more w/o them getting to tired :)

I am planning a 16th birthday party for my daughter. She wants a guy/girl party but it has to be cool of course. We have decided to do a survivor party on the river where her grandparents live. The look we need is already there with the exception of some small details. She is having 20 friends that we will split into two tribes as to go along with our theme. We have planned on 8 games for the two tribes to compete. Some will be physical, mental, and some gross, but not overboard. I think good for their age group.

Our event will start at 2:00 PM and go until 10:00 PM. She has decided she is okay with all her family coming, but their invites are from 2:00-6:00 PM. When the guest arrive there will be large fruit and veggie trays set up under E-Z up tents they will snack on those items until everyone has arrived. We will start our games right after that on a point system, and because it will all be very organized, this should not take more than an hour and a half. We will have a treasure chest of prizes for the winning tribe. we will than have free time for swimming in the river and tubing for those who have permission. We will have lot of supervision including two family members who are lifeguards.

While thats happening, we have other family that will be getting all the grilling done for dinner. Everyone will eat at 5:30, after that most of the family will leave. Everyone else can just have fun and at this time I will try to get some good pictures of my daughter with her friends. From 8:00 to 10:00 we will have a bonfire and some fun island music, play a little limbo and roast marshmallows, dance and call it a day. I think the best thing i can do to make this a great time for my girl is to be organized and think like a sixteen year old. What do you think?

Party's in Aug. FLpalm04 AT aol.com

my birthday is next month and i have know idea wat to do! im stressing.so i know wat ur going through

it sounds really fun.:)

That definitely is a good time. But I would consider giving them a little time alone. So she knows that you can trust her. I know I would be upset if my dad was in the room with us the whole time. I am turning 16 soon too.

The timing sounds reasonable. Maybe you should let the girls spend the night. An outdoorsy theme is always good. Maybe have a campfire. Cook hotdogs and roast marshmallows. Or if you have a pool you could have a pool party. And you could have water balloons and water guns they can play with.

Parenting TeenApril 10, 2006
daddy daughter dance ideas
Planning a Daddy Daughter Dance
Mother Daughter Tea
Planning a Mother Daughter Tea
15th Birthday Party
15th Birthday Party Ideas for Girls
little girl dancing on bed in princess room
Color Advice for a Princess Room
🎉
🎄