Dead Fish Smell on a Dog

I need a remedy to get dead salmon stink off a dog.

Melissa from Fairbanks AK

Best Answer

Give the dog a bath in white vinegar. It's supposed to remove the smell of skunks too.

Hope it works for you. Good luck!

Best Answer

You might want to try canned tomato juice. I've read that it removes skunk scent, so I'd think that it should work for rotten fish smell. Apparently you apply the canned tomato juice to the dog, leave in for a few hours and then shampoo. Hope this works, even skunk scent doesn't smell as bad to me as rotten fish! By the way, I live in Juneau and we certainly have our share of fish carcasses littering our beaches!

Best Answer

Thanks! The white vinegar worked. I then used regular shampoo after so I didn't have to smell the vinegar anymore. Thanks!

i have a recipe that i kept for years that was sposed to take care of skunk smell on a dog. I got the opportunity to try it this year, and it really did the job!! maybe it will work for fish smell. Mix together, one pint of hydrogen pyroxide(like you buy at the drug store), half a cup of baking soda, and a tablespoon of dish soap. This will foam up alot, so use a large container. -double or triple the recipe depending on the dog- sponge it on the dry dog. don't get it in the eyes. let it sit/soak for a few minutes- 10 maybe, and then rinse it off. I think i actually gave the dog a bath with her usual shampoo after.

the #1 remedy is believe it or not fem. douche

buy a or 2 box depends on dog size you might need more wash dog with it and it works.

i have known people who live out in the country and

skunks get the dogs and they learned this is best

and quickest treatment.

you can stock up at a dollar store

kinda embarassing buying a bunch of these boxes

i keep some on hand for doggie emergencies.

good luck

My mother in law had a poodle that had that same smell. She hadnt rolled in anything so she took her to the vet. She had an allergic reaction to the flea stuff you put behind the neck and it caused an infection on her skin. They gave her meds and it took care of the problem

A man I know who relocates skunks suggested a product called ZAP. He said it is the same product as Febreze but commercially stronger. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to find it at the pet store to have on hand for those pesty skunks who my little dog can't seem to leave alone! Apparently it is in a spray bottle.