AdviceHome Improvement

Discolored Apartment Water

Our water in our apartment complex has a pinkish/orangeish color to it when it dries on a surface like the shower curtain or under shampoo bottles in the shower or in the dish drainer. Any ideas what that is?

I would guess iron but when I lived with my mom, I never had this problem before. Is this a bad thing? Also, does anyone know how to get rid of it? It happens in the bathroom on the sink, toilet, shower, and on the kitchen sink.

Dana from Omaha, NE

Most likely that is from iron bacteria. They are not lethal, but if they get through, other bacteria get through as well. A word with the health or building inspector will usually result in the apartment complex being given a date by which to rectify the problem.

Normally the bacteria are killed off with chlorine or ozone, and then filtered out. Have FUN! DearWebby

I would definatly say something to the manager about it. It's probably what we call "well water". I found that "Whink Rust Remover, or "the WORKS" removes it with ease--but these chemicals are caustic to the skin. I just take dish soap, and a little bit of baking soda and mix them to make a paste. Get a damp cloth and "soft scrub" the area. It rinses sqeeky clean literally and gets rid of the orange! Best of luck to you!

I've seen the same thing from time to time. I thought it was a type of mildew that built up. I clean often and have started to use a spray bottle with vinegar and water in it. I give these surfaces a spray from time to time.

In case it's a problem with the the water tank in the building, I'd make sure to get a water filter for drinking water.

Anonymous

It's probably iron deposits and is not harmful ... All you need is water filter(s) if it worries or bothers you ... Talk to your landord about it ... If no satisfaction, call your local health department to see what they say ...