Preparing a Shirt to Paint

I have washed a 50/50 cotton/polyester tee shirt in ALL and Downy. I will be fabric painting on this tee shirt and was not supposed to wash it by hand to get the sizing out. Can I wash it in Woolite by hand to now get the fabric softener out of it?

J. Roland from Aberdeen, MD

I have never painted tees but when I was decorating them using Wonder Under the instructions were to wash the garment but not to use fabric softener or softener sheets. The appliques won't adhere to anything with fabric softener. Carefully read the instructions with your paint as the downy might cause a problem.

I used to paint on shirts all the time and the only thing I did to prewash them was to use the laundry detergent but NO softener. Just throw it in the washing machine on light load and wash it.

Crafts PaintingSeptember 4, 2007
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Nice light blue dress shirt.
Making Shirt Collars Last Longer
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick