Brushing My Dog's Teeth

Our 5 year old Rat Terrier needs to have her teeth cleaned. The Vet wants $250.00 for this. Has anyone cleaned their dog's teeth with the toothbrush and paste that the pet stores sell? I would be willing to try it. If so, how do you do it and how is the dog's mouth rinsed of the paste?

Many thanks,
Rosalie

Depending on your dog's attitude, a rough wash rag works well to scrub teeth in sections so he (and you can have a break). Use something with grit like baking soda.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY WANT TO CHARGE THAT MUCH..WE HAD OUR DOG'S TEETH CLEANED AT THE VET'S AND IT ONLY COST$40 BUT WOULD HAVE BEEN $50 IF THEY HAD TO SEDATE HER.

Your dog doesn't need to rinse. Make sure you use "dog" toothpaste from a pet supply place. It tastes like chicken! Also, you can find "finger" toothbrushes that you just slip over your finger to brush their teeth with.

Our dentist told us to skip the paste entirely unless we needed our teeth whitened. I can't see why it wouldn't work for the doggie, and then you wouldn't have to rinse.

I agree with Judy, use the finger toothbrushes...if you should be able to find one at the pet store, or if not, the baby section of another store should have them with the infant teeth cleaning supplies. You can buy dog toothpaste at the pet store also. I began brushing my English Mastiffs teeth right off the bat when he was a puppy. I brush them every other day, just running this finger brush or his doggy brush over his teeth. I don't rinse, it doesn't foam like human toothpaste does.

We also have an old Great Dane that was adopted. His previous owners never brushed his teeth or cut his toenails so he won't have anything to do with it, that's why I immediately began working with my puppy. Dogs these size are NOT going to do what they don't want to do!...But I think you should do fine with your little terrier. Once she gets used to it, it should be pretty easy to keep up with. I can do whatever I want with my Mastiff's mouth and he's fine with it, I can take a treat out of his mouth mid chew, hold on to his tongue and all sorts of crazy things. Since he's so used to me working in his mouth he just lets me.

Are you sure the $250 was only for cleaning your pet's teeth? I have a cat with a disease who gets gingivitis, and have to get his teeth cleaned, but it's not just a regular cleaning. He has to be sedated and the vet must clean below the gumline, which is comparable to the same procedure done on humans with gingivitis. It can be painful, and often must be done in stages.

The vet in our city wants $310 to clean teeth and more if extractions are required. I am taking my sheltie out of town to a nearby one where it is only $100. $25. extra if extractions are required. Yes that is with sedation

Oh my gosh coreenhart!! Is you dentist planning a huge trip or building a mansion?? I have never heard of a dentist telling his patients not to use toothpaste! My dentist would cringe if he heard this!

I want to move to the town where they charge $40 ! I live in Baltimore and we're in the $250-300 range.

The doggie toothpaste is formulated so it doesn't need to be rinsed out. If you can't find the finger toothbrushes, buy an infant toothbrush- it is soft and has a small head, perfect for small to midsized dogs. I have two rescued LH dachshunds, 13 & 15 lbs. (one I have had for 20 months, the other for 9 months.) I haven't had much problem in getting them used to toothbrushing.

Target has the "hartz" brand electric toothbrush and tooth paste and my dogs love it. Cost for both were less than $10

It only costs 65 where I live in Alabama and that includes sedation and the blood test beforehand. If you have not ever had your dog's teeth cleaned professionally, you need to spend the money and do so. Call a rural vet, it should be cheaper. Just like our teeth if we don't clean them for 5 years, the plaque and tartar extends into the gumline and a regular toothbrush or rag or whatever you would use yourself will never get under the gums to clean. It's important to keep their gums as healthful as possible. After the vet does it, clean your dog's teeth yourself every day or every other day and this should keep the plaque and tartar at bay until the next professional cleaning.

I brush my dogs teeth I have a pitbull and a mini pin. I got a tooth brush that fits on your finger from the pet store and I use my toothpaste. My dogs like the taste and I dont rinse

I use a smidge of peanut butter-don't know how healthy that is, but at least my dog will let me put the brush in her mouth and get the gunk off.

You DON'T use our toothpaste. That is harmful to dogs. Get dog toothpaste at pet store. I let my dog chew on the toothbrush and she thinks this is fun. Then I just put her between my legs and brush as best as I can. They get used to it. But NOT our toothpaste please.

Schnauzer with its mouth open.
Cleaning Your Dog's Teeth
Pets Dogs GroomingSeptember 20, 2006
Woman Grinding teeth and massaging jazz.
Teeth Grinding Treatment
Flipper Teeth
Buying Flipper Teeth Kits
Woman Brushing Her Teeth
Brushing Your Teeth
Backs of a Girl and Standard Poddle with Dreadlocks
Making Dreadlocks
🎉
🎄