Driftwood Wall Hanging

Get back to nature with this very inexpensive gift. I make them with seashells, rocks, gemstones, anything I can get my hands on.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

• driftwood
  • drill with small bit
  • chain or 18 gauge wire
  • small rock, marbles, etc.
  • decorations
  • 6" hanging wire
  • clear varnish spray
  • soft brush

1. Clean your driftwood with a soft brush, spray with clear finish.
  2. Decide how many and where you want your holes for your hanging chain or curled wire. Drill your holes at least 1/4 inch from the edge of your driftwood, be careful driftwood is soft and will break easily. Plan your holes carefully.
  3. After you have your holes drilled, decide on the length you want for the chains or wire and add an inch to wire to make curls after you go through the holes you drilled. They will hold the wire sturdily and be decorative from the back also. With chain you can open one of the links and put it through the drilled hole if the links are large enough; if not, use wire to make a loop or purchase rings or swivels used in fishing gear. You can also use tiny screws on the back to secure the chain by attaching them on the back higher up on the thicker part of your driftwood. As you see there are many ways to go; just use your imagination, you probably have the items you could use on hand.
  4. When I use wire I wrap it around a pencil one way then reverse directions for interest. Wrap the wire around marbles, small rocks sprayed with your varnish, seashells, or whatever you like that is pretty light weight.
  5. I try to theme my decorations such as this one, is nature. I happened to have the copper letters and used silver and gold leaves, keeping to the metal and nature theme. I have home jewelry parties and give these as my hostess gifts.

By Latrtatr from Loup City, NE

That is darling. I love driftwood. Seems to have it's own personality. So many possibilities too.

Thanks for sharing.

Driftwood Door Handle
Driftwood Craft Ideas
Crafts Garden & Yard WindchimesJanuary 4, 2011
Online Shopping
Selling Crafts Online
A photo of a girl making paper hearts.
Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
beach shell rocks and wood
Beach Theme Craft Ideas