Use Plastic Wrap Under Foil To Avoid Metal Taste

When did it become acceptable to use plastic wrap in the oven? I've noticed several times recently while watching Food Network that the phrase "put it all in a pan, cover with plastic wrap then foil, and put it in the oven for a couple of hours" usually at around 300 degrees F.

But when they show the foil coming off, I see no indication of plastic wrap under that. When did this become safe? Wouldn't it melt into the food?

By Dee from Lakeland, FL

I never use foil on our food,don't think it's safe,several years ago they said it might cause Alzheimer's disease,I do not use anything with aluminum in it on my body. I use wax paper in microwave when warming food, good luck.

I don't know what shows on The Food Network are suggesting this but there is absolutely no safe plastic wrap to use in the oven or microwave for that matter :-o You can safely use parchment paper instead!

Don't worry about aluminum:

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scrip ... 7&documentID=99&pageNumber=1

http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/askexpert/cooking-techniques/63.aspx

I use plastic underneath foil whenever I am baking lasagna. No it does not melt and it actually acts like a steamer. I have never had a problem with the plastic as long as I cover it with foil.

Actually foil or plastic is not safe for food. You can use foil if you make a tent of it so it doesn't touch but why not make it a point to buy cookware with lids. Actually you can just buy lids. You can find them at garage sales and resale shops. People used lids before foil and plastic was invented.

Roll of Plastic Wrap
Uses for Plastic Wrap
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsApril 11, 2010
Cleaning Metal
Cleaning Metal
Storing Plastic Wrap, Foil and Wax Paper Boxes
roll of foil
Using Aluminum Foil and Plastic Wrap Correctly
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal
🎉
🎄