What is the Best Way to Transport Small Berry Plants By Air?

I will be traveling to Europe with three small plants; raspberry and blueberry that I which I cannot buy where I will be going. They are rather small and were recently bought in small containers with a cup protecting the soil. I was planning to keep them in a carton box secure from shifting in a piece of luggage that will go to the cargo area of the plane. They will stay there for about 15hrs.

Questions :
Should I trim them ? Would this be better? How about "nude roots" that some plants are sold as such? Should I remove them from soil and keep roots in a damp cloth protected with a plastic?

Any other points that I should know? There are no issues with permits etc. that I have for the transport.

Thank you.

By SPIROS from Toronto, Canada

When I order my plants on line they come dry, but I don't think 15 hrs is going to kill them. Take a look at the boxed plants at Walmart and what they are pack in.

Well, I assume you will check with the airlines for suggestions or requirements first. And then maybe you can consider putting them in a small dog carrier? Finding a way to secure them inside, they would get air that way. Just a crazy thought.

You will need to check with customs on transporting plants. It is often illegal to do this due to pests and invasive natures of plants etc.

The cargo hold probably won't be heated so you had better figure out how to pack them so they won't freeze.

Traveling With Plants
Traveling With Plants
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceApril 10, 2011
Acai Berries
Using Acai Berry
A/C Heater Vent
Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Sliced Strawberries in a Bowl.
Berry Slaw