Save Time and Money by Organizing Your Closet

If you organize your wardrobe you'll save time, money, and avoid clutter. I hang clothing by type, season, then color. For example, long sleeve tops in one corner of the wardrobe, skirts in another, short sleeved tops, pants, and jackets in another section. This way, you can easily grab whatever pieces you need for each season and occasion. I do something similar for shoes. I organize footwear by type, color, and season (work, recreation, boots, then by color).

Each year I purge old items to keep the items well organized. You can sell or donate to friends and charity what you no longer need. For children, you can encourage them to invite friends of the same size for a clothes swapping party. It will be fun for them and save you money.

By Meena from Elgin, IL

Great Ideas! I am repainting my closet and will be reorganizing it, so it's good to have some ideas. I especially like how you said you organized your shoes! Thank you for the ideas!

~Abby

Don't forget to "stir" your clothing once in awhile. By "stir" I mean to move them around in the closet. Its interesting how different they can look when they're stored next to a different item! Also, I notice that people tend to wear the same clothing over and over rather than trying to use the same clothes in new ways. Don't hesitate to try new combinations! Separates are wonderful wardrobe stretchers. Try not to wear items the same way twice!

Yesterday I "stirred" the sweaters in my son's chest of drawers. Today I noticed he was wearing one that had been on the bottom before. Men don't dig down and move things around like women do. Also, when I hand his shirts in the closet, I always put the ones I just washed on the right hand side of the closet. He knows to take the shirt on the far left when he gets dressed in the morning. Not only does it make it easy to find what you want to wear, but clothes get more evenly worn.

Thanks for sharing your great ideas with us! Warm regards,

Get an ottoman bed you can store up to 50 pairs of shoes there(makes me feel like Sarah Jessica Parker) he he.

Olivia from England

When you have kids it is important to "stir" the wardrobe more often, to create new combinations and maintain freshness of the clothes.

Meena...will you come to my house and organize my closet? *L* I really like how you organize things. My closet needs some help. Ugh!