Craft Project: How to Sew a Doll Quilt
This little quilt is simple enough for a beginner, and is a good way to use up scraps of leftover fabric. The quilt can be sewn completely by hand, but will go together more quickly with a sewing machine.
- 2 pieces of cotton fabric, 10 x 15 inches
- 2-1/2 yards rickrack or narrow fabric trim
- 8 - 6 inch lengths of yarn, any color
- yarn needle
- dressmaking pins
- polyfill stuffing
- 9 fabric flowers (from notions department)
- sewing machine
- needle and thread
- Lay one piece of the fabric, right side up, on work table. Cut three pieces of trim or rickrack to fit, as pictured. Pin into place. Hand or machine stitch trim into place. Remove pins.
- Cut three more pieces of trim to fit and pin into place. Hand or machine stitch into place. Remove pins.
- Hand sew the 9 fabric flowers into intersection of trim, as pictured.
- Flip front of quilt over and pin to right side of other piece of fabric. Hand or machine stitch closed on three sides.
- Turn quilt inside out and lightly stuff with polyfill.
- Hand or machine stitch closed.
- Use pins to make 8 places in between the squares for quilting. Thread one 6" piece of yarn in yarn needle and knot one end. Push needle up from back of the quilt at one of the pins and sew an "X" with the yarn. Tie off yarn in the back and knot closed. Remove pin. Repeat with remaining 7 places.
- Quilt is finished!
About The Author: Claire Bush is a freelance writer and author of "Dining in Arizona - 101 Great Places to Eat". She is a working chef in Sun City, AZ.
July 13, 20080 found this helpful
That's so cute! I make small quilts sort of like that for my dog. She has one for the couch (sit NOWHERE else!), one in her living room bed, one in her bedroom bed, and one in the car for my lap so I don't get covered with her hair! They're so handy!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 11, 2016 at 2:06:35 PM on 10.0.2.116 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us