Prep Produce And Freeze Waste For Stock

Buy produce in large quantities and then prep it for the week, then save the ends for lots of uses:

I keep a freezer bag with the extra air squished out in the door of my freezer. Every time I chop off a carrot top or have stems left from fresh herbs or bones from a pork chop, I throw them in the bag. Then every week or two, I throw them in a pot, cover with water, maybe add a bouillon and I have fresh stock.

You can use shrimp shells, mushroom stems, and save time on cleaning onions by just chopping off the tops and bottoms since you know you'll be using them for stock later! In winter, I keep a few bags going with Asian seafood, meat/stew veggies, and vegetarian.

You can also reuse seeds. Scoop the seeds out of the cantaloupe and cover with water. Blend and strain for a Mexican "agua fresca". I also put the seeds in with less water than will quite cover, some herbs and vinegar and oil for salad dressing. The seeds are a natural thickener and the dressing turns out creamy and very healthy.

I also love juicing melon rinds. The little scraps we have left, I'm planning to compost. But I'll need to search around on Thrifty fun for some ideas of how to build a cheap composter first!

Source: My own ideas I think...well, cantaloupe seeds are used in traditional Mexican cooking but the dressing is my recipe.

By Erica from Dallas, TX

Frozen Green Beans
Freezing Produce
Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesAugust 7, 2008
Freezing Mushrooms
Freezing Mushrooms
Cucumbers on ice.
Freezing Cucumbers
Ninja Master Prep
Using a Ninja Master Prep
Ninja Prep Master Pro
Recipes for the Ninja Prep Master Pro
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 22, 2016 at 12:21:20 PM on 10.0.1.23 in 918 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.