Removing Adhesive Residue from Transdermal Patch

Any suggestions regarding the removal of adhesive residue left behind when removing transdermal pain patches? I have been using Soft Soap with pumice like auto mechanics use for their hands, but that does not always remove all the adhesive residue without an extreme amount of scrubbing.
Thanks for any advice.

By Stewart R. from Buffalo, NY

Best Answer

I've used hand sanitizer to remove glue residue. It works really well.

Best Answer

Skin friendly baby oil, mineral oil, and even vegetable or olive oil and, as already mentioned, use a cotton ball ;-)

Cotton ball was not big enough as my husband was using a large gauze pad and had a lot of tape residue for a burn injury. We used a hand towel and olive oil and Vaseline body gel oil, both worked great! And both were in my cabinets!

Best Answer

I use either non acetone nail polish remover or Goo Gone.

Unsafe: Petroleum based products, acetone

Safe: "The Best Cleaner Ever" from ScraPerfect is my recommendation!!

Effective is essential. Safe is also. Easy to clean off the remover is another consideration as is not drying or irritating the skin.

Too much rubbing ture skin red and raw.

Is is the same kind of residue that is left like from a band aid? Usually any kind of oil works on that. It dissolves it rather than scrubbing it off. Baby oil, mineral oil or even veg cooking oil from the kitchen will work. It works best if you can rub it in or even let is set a few minutes. You probably would want to make sure to get the oil off your skin with some soap after or your next patch might not stay stuck; if you have to put them in the same spot that is.

Other suggestions that might work would be rubbing alcohol. That might be drying to the skin if you have to use it often. Or make a paste of baking soda with a bit of water but that again would be scrubbing it off as opposed to dissolving the adhesive. Good luck to you!

Edit:

This link recommends using mineral oil.

http://www.originaldrugs.com/health-library/info-transderm-patch.shtml

Goo Gone could also work. Dollar store might carry it. There are Adhesive Removal pads, individually wrapped like alcohol pads, which pharmacy may carry.

Baby oil and a cotton ball. Cheap and cheerful! You can get both at dollar stores. Just put a few drops of the baby oil on a cotton ball and rub the adhesive away. I've used this myself when I tried the patch for smoking. Also works great for bandaids, gum in hair, duct tape. Well, you get the idea.

I use Avons skin so soft.

Peanut butter and any vegetable oil should both work.

Wow! So many solutions for such a "sticky situation"! Thank you everyone for your input. We tried the hand sanitizer yesterday and it worked quite well. Seeing as how we have numerous bottles of that stuff around the house, I think that is the way we are going to proceed.

This is one awesome site for getting friendly advice! Now, does anyone have any solutions for finding a new job? Being unemployed for the first time in forty years is a real downer!

So glad one of these suggestions was helpful to you :-) As for finding a job, submit that question separately and you'll get lots of answers :-) Be sure to mention what your specialty(s) are!

My suggestion is lots of 'networking' and 'persistence' ;-) I've even known people who landed a job they really wanted by working for free for a day or two! There's really nothing to lose doing that because even if the place doesn't find you to be 'the right fit' you've still met more people to network with and pick their brains for ideas, possible job openings elsewhere and maybe even references ;-) Hope you submit that question :-)

Try using baby oil. Apply a few drops to the sticky area and rub it in. The residue will roll up / off. It's all I have ever used. Good luck.

Smith & Nephew Uni-Solve Adhesive Remover. Comes in wipes and 8 oz bottles. Amazon has it.

Removing a bandaid and leaving behind some adhesive residue.
Removing Adhesive Residue on Skin
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceMarch 29, 2010
applying adhesive on a window
Removing Adhesive from Glass
Plexiglass
Removing Adhesive from Plexiglass
Excess Adhesive on Floor Tiles
Removing Excess Adhesive From Floor Tiles
Picking Blackberries
Killing Weeds in a Blackberry Patch
🎉
🎄