Share Crafts

Weed Killer That is Safe for Horses

I need to kill many types of weeds growing in my horse pasture. I want to find something that is effective and safe for the horses. We are at an of altitude of 8500'.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Molly from Boulder, Colorado

I wouldn't even want to speculate on what type of weed killers (homemade or commercial) would be safe to use around your horses. The labels on some commercial herbicides recommend restricting grazing for two weeks after application, some 7 days and some have no restrictions at all. Even in the case of the so-called homemade "safe" remedies, some ingredients can be toxic to some animals. Fortunately for you, one of the world's premier equine veterinary hospitals (CSU) is located in your state. I would recommend calling them for more information.

You might also visit the Colorado State University extension agency's Ag Weed pages at and

This publication by the Table Mountain Association might also be of interest to you

Good Luck!

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

By (Guest Post) 06/16/2006

Plain white vinegar or salt water will kill weeds, but it will also kill grasses.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Post a Comment