Saving Money on Carrots

Tips for Saving Money on Carrots.

Freezing

I look for sales first of all and then purchase large bags of carrots. I scrub them rather than peel so as to preserve as much skin as possible. Then I run them through my food processor's slicing blade, lay them out on a cookie sheet, freeze, and bag into large (gallon sized) freezer bags. Then when I'm ready for carrots I can easily pour out as much as I want. We also dehydrate some.

By J.

Here's a guide for Freezing Carrots.

Buy Regular Carrots

Instead of buying those bags of "baby carrots", it is usually cheaper to buy regular carrots and peel and cut them to size. That's all that baby carrots are, so you're just doing a little work to save some money!

By Bailegirl

Farmer's Market

A great place you can buy bulk carrots is your farmers market. One of the farmers I talked to from the farmers market I go to told me that he sells juicing carrots by the case (50lbs) for around .50/lb. Ask the vendors at your local farmers market for their bulk prices on carrots and other veggies your family eats and you may be surprised at the good deals you may find!

Also, to extend the life of carrots or any of the veggies I buy, I've also purchased some 'green bags' to store them in. They do work!

By Ambreec28

Growing Carrots

I don't usually grow vegitables in my garden that can easy be bought cheaply in the store. But if you want cheap and healthy carrots then that would be the way to go.

I usually buy the tiny carrots in the one pound bags. They have had less exposure to pesticides and you don't have to pay for the part that you are going to peel off and throw away. I rinse them off good in a strainer and cook them. The fresher the better. Cooking actually makes the vitamin A more digestable or available than raw carrots. They are healthier cooked. It also removes the threat of bug eggs in the cracks of the carrots.

If a carrot tastes bitter then there is something wrong with it. When I raise carrots in my organic garden, they taste great and never ever taste bitter.

By Orgorg

Here's a guide for Growing Carrots.

First I price checked all the bulk carrots at the stores. I found Publix Supermarket to have the best price on 5lb bags. I always buy and keep in the bag they came in and keep on the bottom shelf of my refrigerator. They do last forever it seems. I pare and cut into small sticks for my husband's snack. I keep the sticks in a Glad container. They are always available for soups, stews or whatever. Also you can substitute for sweet potatoes in pie recipes. They can be used in place of squash or zucchini in recipes. They are cheap as the dickens and packed full of nutrition. Right now they are running 69c per pound and hardly any spoilage. Also weigh the bag before you buy it, some bags weigh more than others.

carrots
Saving Money on Carrots
Consumer Advice Shopping Food & KitchenMay 23, 2008
Canned Carrots
Canning Carrots
Cutting Carrots
Cutting Carrots
Growing Carrots
Growing Carrots
Freezing Carrots
Freezing Carrots
🎄