Decorating an Old Church

I'm getting married on May 6th 2006 and my colors are pale yellow and sage. My wedding is in one of the oldest churches in Tennessee, it does not even have electricity and the pews are logs cut in half. If anyone can help with any ideas for CHEAP decorations it would be great.

Hannah from Johnson City, TN

You could head to Wal Mart or whatever has a fake flower section and ribbon/lace section in their crafts. Make small bouquets of fake flowers in your colours, tie them together with a bit of lace of ribbon in those colours. Then take the ribbon (two different colours), twirl it together like you would crepe paper rolls at a birthday party and let some slack out. Put this between the different bouquets on the wall. You'll probably have to pin or anchor the bouquets to the wall somehow. Something that's not too expensive. You could also make bouquets with these flowers and lace/ribbons for the bridesmaids in your wedding party as well as boutoneires for the groomsmen. Hope that helps a little! :) You could also tie the ribbon around different things that can be festooned like the idea with the ribbons/bouquets above...hope that gives you an idea! Also check out the bridal section at your local library and see if they have any thing that might help you! :) Good luck.

Lots & lots of lit candles, in the colours you have chosen, look in the dollar stores for the candle holders too, or maybe borrow from you friends

Nice colours you have chosen.

Best Wishes!

Have lots & lots of lit candles in your colours placed all around inside the church. Look in the dollar stores + holders as well. You could also borrow candle sticks from your friends & family, just tape their names on the bottom to ensure they get them back. Very pretty colours you have chosen.

Best Wishes!

Less is more in this situation. How cool that you chose such an old church for your wedding! I'd place large bows made of ribbon and tulle at the ends of the pews and research what was traditionally used as wedding decorations for that time period. Most likely, they used things found in nature and that would be very economical.

May is such a beautiful time to get married -- maybe you could make little flower gardens in a variety of pots.

You could make your own big puffy satin bows for the ends of the rows. Also could use small wicker baskets of potpurri. Maybe find different baskets at the thrift store & potpurri at the dollar store. For the front of the church what about baskets of silk flowers that you arrange yourself? Or splurge on the rental of a candlelabra if the church doesn't have one & decorate it with silk flowers in your colors. Incorporate the lighting of the center candle into your ceremony.

i wouldn't do many candles if the church is that old it could be dangerous.

but you could use lots of flowers. how would they have decorated it when people got married there say 150 yrs ago or when ever the church opened??

i think that sounds really nice.

I think the tulle suggestion is great. I would get some of those twinkle little white/clear christmas lights that have battery pack attached. A few of those would add a nice touch to add the

lights in the tulle of your color. And make it simple

and it will be stunning. I would go with some pretty

potted flowers and tie bows of tulle around them.

ENJOY your day.

God bless your marriage, Hannah, and I have a daughter named Hannah. I think since the church is old ,you might like to use the kind of decoration that might have been in the church years ago, like wild flowers and even weeds. There are lots of things that bloom in the wooded areaes and along rural roads and an abundance of greenery. This would also be very economical. If you can locate some ivy it was used a lot in decorating years ago. Candles or oil burning lamps may have been used for lighting. For my wedding (years ago) I used white metal candle holders with glass globes like hurricane lamps. My bridesmaids even carried one with small flowers around the base with ribbon streamers. Even if your dress is very modern I think the more traditional to the building decorations would be nice especially with the seating. I decorated very economically with magnolia blooms for my May 28th wedding and carried one large one as my bouquet.

Church Decorated for Wedding
Decorating a Church for a Wedding
Weddings DecorationsDecember 30, 2005
Planning a Church Brunch
Planning a Church Brunch
Church Tea
Church Harvest Tea Ideas
small white church
Church Banquet Decoration Ideas
Feng Shui Decorating, Feng Shui Decorating
Feng Shui Decorating
🎉
🎄