Recipe for Doubling Butter?

I know there is a recipe out there for doubling a lb. of butter with oil but I do not know the exact measurements or if you add anything else. Help. With the price of butter I need to double mine to make it last longer. Barb

Barb, I usually just blend equal amounts of butter and vegetable or olive oil. Also a dab of salt. Makes a soft spreadable butter from the fridge. Carol

I too usually use equal amounts of butter to the same amount of canola or olive oil. I found I don't especially care for the flavor of olive oil. So usually use canola oil. That is what works best for me. I don't add the extra salt. Feel there is enough already in the butter.

I don't know why I had not thought of this idea myself! This is a GREAT tip! (I'm all about making things last longer) Thanks for asking this question and all the tips posted in response! :) I might add a touch of garlic or some other flavoring to the mix.

I make a mixture called Sun Butter. Mix equal parts of unsalted sweet cream butter and sunflower oil. Great taste and spreads easily.

Hi,

I love the recipe ideas, never heard of this before-great idea!

Wondering how difficult it is to mix & if you have problems with it separating?

Do you use this to cook with or as a substitute for margarine?

Does anyone know diet wise what oil would be best?

I like the olive oil idea, just curious about the taste if used on a piece of toast? My family enjoys olive oil, I use it all of the time & I use regular butter to add additional flavor to certain meals.

My fave cooking motto:

"Olive Oil, Butter, Dry white wine, garlic & Lemon juice can make anything taste yummy!"

Thanks, Brenda

I totally love the idea of mixing olive oil and butter....I, like Kidseatfree, hadn't thought of it ... which is strange because I always heat olive oil and butter together to pour over my popcorn...delicious!!!

If you want a lower calorie butter with the same taste as real butter, mix a pound of butter with 1/2 cup of water. Blend well, and you have a lower calorie butter that you don't have to pay extra for! And it tastes just as good as plain butter without water.

Doubling Butter

Ingredients

1 cup warm water

1 cup olive oil

1 tsp lecithin granules (from health food store)

This is the emulsifier for the oil and water to mix

1/2 to 1 tsp salt (according to taste)

1 lb. butter (room temperature)

Mix water, salt, and lecithin then add oil and butter. Mix with electric mixer till smooth. Place in containers and refrigerate till hard. My family prefers this to plain butter and it makes a healthy spread.

Thanks so much to all who took the time to write about the butter. great ideas and so much appreciated. I love this web site don't you all. Happy November and blessings to all. Barb