Replacing My VCR

Is there a good alternative to a VCR? I have had VCR's for many years and I tape a lot of TV shows and sports to watch later. VCR's are getting hard to find. Few stores carry them and the sales people say they are out-moded. I know about TIVO, but don't all the Tivo type machines have a monthly fee? DVD recorders are very expensive and I believe you can only record once per DVD? Does anyone else have a problem finding new VCR's? There are no repair places in my area.

Joyann from Visalia, CA

DVR is the best invention this decade! I love it! A couple clicks of a button and you are set to tape all your shows for the evening, or even the whole week. Mine has 75 hours to use for recording. I tell my friends: dvr is wonderful and addictive...once you have it you can't live with out it. My favorite is the "pause live tv": get a drink, change a diaper etc. and the show is waiting. The DVR we have is $5.00 a month from dishtv. I heard tivo costs $300+? I am a busy mom, I like to have shows waiting for me!

P.s. you would want to get a dual dvd/vcr so that you could still utilize your investments in tapes.

I have a DVD recorder. I got mine for $99 at Best Buy. They're great - I buy the discs in conjunction with a bunch of people at work and we get them for less than a quarter each. Yes, you can only record to them once but you can get ones that you can record multiple times to (DVD-RW). My recorder was made by Lite-On. You can hook it up to a TV/VCR setup and record all of your old VHSs too.

To me, saving the money of rebuying all of my VHSs was well worth it, since some of them were quite old. I would look into it!

I work for a large appliance/electronic co. in the wholesale sales division. VCR's are going to be around for quite awhile but most people don't want them. I have Tivo & it did cost me the equipment & the install. Even at my employee cost is wasn't that inexpensive. I have Direct TV but I know they, & Dish Network offer specials all the time. I only paid for the main box & I got 3 others for free. And I too only pay $5 more a mo. for all the boxes above what I pay for my Direct TV. It will change your life to have Tivo/DVR. You won't ever want to go back. No more worrying about taping shows & having to keep track of them when they're on. No more watching commercials or anything else you don't want to. The only live TV I watch now is news. I can watch any show any time I want thus setting my own TV watching. And you can record more shows than you could possibly have time to watch which gives you a huge selection. Just call the companies & deal w/them. They will give you just about anything to get your business. Once you buy the equipment you're done. You only need to do it once.

We have a tv tuner in our computer. It came with software that allows us to schedule our favorite shows to be recorded to the computer's hard drive. It's pretty much a tivo without the monthly fee.

Our computer is networked with a media server in our tv room so we watch the shows there. Or, we could use a dvd burner to burn the shows to dvd and then play them in our dvd player, but my husband has it set up so the media server in our tv room can connect to the computer and we don't have to use up dvds.

I bought a combination DVD and VCR from Overstock.com not long ago. They charge no more than $3 for delivery, often free, and I have had good luck with everything I have bought there. They have good prices too.You can get some reconditionded machines with an extended warantee .Their products usually arrive to me in Californa within 4 days and i pay no sales tax..

Great advice from everyone, but I just wanted to add you can buy recordable dvds and if you get the right kind you can record over them. They do have some you can only record on once also. Right now Big lots has a dvd player/recorder for 59.99. But if you do decide on Tivo, its wonderful. I don't have it, but my mother does and I love hers. I can put in a movie on the wish list and it doesn't matter when it comes on, Could be a year later and it will record it.

I, too use a VCR for recording - over and over again. Mine recently broke and I bought a used one off ebay for $30 - $35 with shipping. If you look for a reputable seller (100% feedback) and ask questions before you bid, you can usually be certain it will be a good purchase. Good luck to you.

One other place you might check is pawn shops - they test all items they buy and only buy working machinery so it might be worth your while.

Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circut City, and Sears all still sell VCRs. You can get one for about $20.00

Consumer Advice General AdviceMarch 26, 2007
Repairman working on a stove.
Repairing Versus Replacing Appliances
New halogen automobile bulb.
Replacing Your Car's Headlights
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
🎄